PDA

View Full Version : True Running Chuck Jaws

Rich Aldrich
06-25-2010, 6:34 PM
I checked the run-out on my chuck and jaws a few nights ago. This is the Supernova 2 with the standard 50 mm jaws The body was 0.0015" out, so it mounts on the spindle and adaptor true. The face of the jaws ran quite true. The outside was out about 0.020" but varied on each jaw. The inside of the jaws were similar, only the max variation was 0.028".

I brought my chuck to a friend today that has a metal lathe. He mounted my chuck body in the chuck of his metal lathe. We took 0.010" off the area that holds the grub screw and you could see the whole surface was freshly cut. This was an area I couldnt measure, but it seemed like it was running out, so I had him take about 0.010" out.

The inside of the jaws seemed to have a raised ribbed ring at the outer edge of the jaws and was recessed in starting about 1/8" in. I had him take 0.010" cuts and we checked between cuts. After 3 cuts, the whole ring had been machined. There is not much of a recess after this ring now, but I dont know if I will have to have him take a cut out of the recess. I am going to give it a try.

Since he was set up, I had him take a face cut off the face of the jaws just to be sure.

He needs to refer to his machinist hand book and practice on a ring before he machines the outside since it has a 7 degree taper. I am just going to use it as it is for now. I haven't been using the chucks to clamp inside a recessed area.

This should get rid of the bounce when machining bowls. It is amazing how this magnifies at the larger diameters. I will be trying it out shortly.

I will have to turn a bowl for him. I like that barter style.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 7:53 PM
Rich - looking forward to finding out if this made any difference at all!

Rich Aldrich
06-25-2010, 9:19 PM
Steve,

It did make a difference. The piece was spalted maple from a tree that fell last week. Once the piece was roughed out, I was able to make it smooth (as in no bounce). Maybe it makes up for poor technique as I am still learning.

I am having trouble making the tennon round. This doesnt make sense, unless it is because of being a bit soft. The chuck gripped it well, but it compressed quite a bit. I have had this trouble on other pieces that were solid as well. It is probably technique.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Rich - bring a blank that you have had problems with to our next turning club meeting. We'll be able to figure out what's going on when we can see it. Might also bring your chuck for Show & Tell! Anything that improves our turning is worth talking about!