PDA

View Full Version : Custom fit for a dovetail saw handle

Jon van der Linden
06-25-2010, 6:15 PM
As a Summer project I'm making a dovetail saw with my nephew (he's 12). We made a few different styles of dovetail saw handles in slightly varying sizes as test handles to decide what we like. So here's my question: what do you consider the optimal fit in a dovetail saw handle (critical measurements etc.) and what do you look for in terms of "feel" in the way the handle fits to the hand?

Jim Koepke
06-25-2010, 10:52 PM
As a Summer project I'm making a dovetail saw with my nephew (he's 12). We made a few different styles of dovetail saw handles in slightly varying sizes as test handles to decide what we like. So here's my question: what do you consider the optimal fit in a dovetail saw handle (critical measurements etc.) and what do you look for in terms of "feel" in the way the handle fits to the hand?

There are a few things to consider. One of them will depend on the size of the user's hand. I do not like my hand to feel squeezed when using a saw.

I tend to put finger rests on my saw handles. I do not like a grip that feels as if one is holding a broom handle. The Mauser C96 comes to mind.

Another consideration would be the angle of the hang. This could be dependent on the height of the user in relation to their bench.

jim

Jon van der Linden
06-26-2010, 9:50 AM
I probably should have given some examples of what I meant. For example, one might change the thickness of the handle based on the distance between the thumb and first knuckle of the index finger, or the main grip area the width of three fingers plus 1/2" or maybe it's determined by geometry like "the main grip area is terminated in two 1" circles and the "flat" area in between is the width of three fingers."

In terms of feel I'm interested in the specifics of what people like or find irritating and why. For example, I don't like the sharp angle of the handle on the LN grip because it pokes into my palm, I prefer a wider handle like the Kenyon because it fits my palm better than more rounded grips, or I prefer a more tightly radiused curve in the top horn because it gives me more feedback and locks my hand in position. Basically whatever kinds of criteria you prefer in a grip.

This is not a post about needing help, it is more one of curiosity.

Rick Rutten
06-26-2010, 9:59 AM
I tend to like handles that are a closer fit to my hand vs. the large ones on the bigger hand saws. Kind of fit like a glove. However, one of my smaller handles has a horn that comes down too far on the top and that ffels like it gets in the way. Its a Disston so I am not going to mess with it. The one with a partially broken horn on top seem to feel better.

I don't recall ever seeing the front part of the handle with ridges for where your fingers would go. It is not uncommon to see those on items that are supposed to improve your grip on something. For a mass market saw it makes sense. Since these are custom it may be nice to add.

Rick

Zach England
06-26-2010, 10:16 AM
I modified the grip on my Adria saw to more closely mimic that of the Veritas saws and give me a good spot to rest my index finger. IMO, dovetail saw handles should come in right-handed and left-handed models. I'll be doing some custom handles myself for some Wenzloff carcass saw kits I have ordered and I think I will do the same with those.