PDA

View Full Version : Finally!!!

Ken Hill
06-25-2010, 11:57 AM
I've been waiting for my Spalted Persimmon blanks to dry enough to cut out some Turkey Pots. And seeing I came home from work in Tennessee late sunday night only to find my internet and phone still did not work (9 days) I had some extra time to dive into my wood pile and see what I could come up with!

I am very satisfied with the wood, more work then I am used to but well worth it! John, this is the same stuff heading your way!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/DSC3780/913065823_DHhMq-O.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 7:55 PM
Ken - love the color! Nice work! Sure is some rich looking wood!

David E Keller
06-25-2010, 8:14 PM
That's pretty stuff. Nicely done.

brian watts
06-25-2010, 8:25 PM
very nice.. never turn any does it turn good?

Peter Hay in Aus
06-25-2010, 8:45 PM
Ken,
Love the timber,beaut colour please tell me what is a Turkey Pot my only experiences with Turkeys is they a very large birds of uncertain temperament? that taste good.

Peter.

Ken Hill
06-25-2010, 9:02 PM
Brian, turns alot like Maple IMO. When it cools down hit me up and I will send you a piece. I just sent some to stump on THO and damned if the heat did not get to most of it!

Peter-you mimmick the sounds of a female (Hen) turkey with it to bring in a Gobbler....hopefully a big old nasty longbeard with grizzly like spurs:D (And if anyone says they just get a butterball...you have noooooo idea what youre missing;))

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2010, 9:03 PM
Great looking calls. Love the wood.

John Keeton
06-25-2010, 9:25 PM
Ken, I am looking forward to getting some of that!! Nice! Very nice! With that dipped finish you do, those calls really look great.

And, then there is the pic.....;):D

Ken Hill
06-25-2010, 9:45 PM
Thanks John...I am really hoping you can do something with this stuff. Its a bowl turners dream...lots of work to do haha!

These arent dipped, just a CA grain fill then roughly 6 coats of Minwax Antique Oil over the course of several days...its my new favorite finish haha!

John Keeton
06-25-2010, 9:49 PM
Thanks John...I am really hoping you can do something with this stuff. Its a bowl turners dream...lots of work to do haha!

These arent dipped, just a CA grain fill then roughly 6 coats of Minwax Antique Oil over the course of several days...its my new favorite finish haha!Ken, I just recently bought a couple cans of the AO, but have only used it on one bowl. I like it quite a bit, though I thought it would have less lustre than it actually has.

Ken Hill
06-25-2010, 10:01 PM
For less, maybe mix poly with tung oil.....

John Keeton
06-25-2010, 10:08 PM
I have considered the polymerized tung oil that Leo Van Der Loo uses from Lee Valley. He gets a nice soft finish on his stuff.

Ken Hill
06-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I think this finish will work well, although IMO a hunting call should be a matt finish. I cant stand when my friends show up with some gawd awefull metalic pink and yellow latest and greatest store bought calls hanging around their neck.....especiallyw hen we go through so much work to camo ourselves, boats..dog LOL!

As a photographer, I understand the differences between gloss and matte and how the eye percieves it. I geuss it really depends to me on how the item wil be used or displayed. Under lights on a shelf or in a cabinet the gloss would really jump, but on a mantle or for daily use it can actually take away from the appearence being gloss...same with photographs. I think alot of folks are starting to see huge differences when they combine matte or gloss photos with the new glasses that are being sold for the frames. Usually a darker image leans more towards gloss and a lighter image towards matte all things being equal. I wonder if that same line of thinking can trend wood finishes:eek: Can you tell im happy to be back online haha!

Allen Neighbors
06-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Beautiful calls, Ken! I've got some persimmon, but mine's not dry yet, and it's almost as white as holly... hmmm... that's the second time recently that I've used that description...
Anyhow, well done, and the wood does look very rich, like Steve said..

Ken Hill
06-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Bury some of it....I have another tree down and cut into 6 foot sections and intend on burying it until next spring or longer if needed. This stuff here was buried in a brush pile for 3 or 4 years and is ALMOST too far gone!

Allen Neighbors
06-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Bury it? Under dirt?

Ken Hill
06-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Im burying mine under leaves and such then tarping it. I will also debark it.

The piece ive been working with was literally buried under a pile of scrub pines, rotten limbs, dirt leaves etc. As soon as the rattlesnakes go inside for fall im diving back into that pile and see if there is anymore in there haha:D

Patrick Doody
06-26-2010, 7:00 AM
Beautiful calls! Where do you get the slate and glass? I may have to turn a few of these, we have quite a few turkeys on our land up north, I put in for a license this spring and didn't get one but I should get one next spring.

John Hart
06-26-2010, 7:16 AM
Very nice work Ken, and I like your photography as well. Your composition, lighting and orientation of the pieces shows you put a little extra time into your presentation. It's nice.

On the rattlesnakes...ya know...I really like rattlesnake hunting...and with a little butter, they taste like blue crab.:)

brian watts
06-28-2010, 5:35 AM
Brian, turns alot like Maple IMO. When it cools down hit me up and I will send you a piece. I just sent some to stump on THO and damned if the heat did not get to most of it!

Peter-you mimmick the sounds of a female (Hen) turkey with it to bring in a Gobbler....hopefully a big old nasty longbeard with grizzly like spurs:D (And if anyone says they just get a butterball...you have noooooo idea what youre missing;))

were are you from? if i can ask..

Donny Lawson
06-28-2010, 6:35 AM
If you like the spalting look as I do just cut the ends fresh and put it in a well shaded area away from the sun and bury it in leaves.Oak leaves work best. Leave it alone for several months.With the hot humid weather where I live the mold spores will start growing in no time and the spalting will start.I have some sycamore,and maple that I'm spalting right now.
Donny

Ken Hill
06-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Patrick, ive been getting my slate and glass from brookside engraving.com