PDA

View Full Version : Prayer request for my dad

Matt Ranum
06-25-2010, 12:25 AM
My Dad was diagnosed with 3 types of cancer back in December. It has consumed most of his spinal cord, lungs and prostate. He has always had his good days and bad although the bad have been becoming more numerous as of late. In the past couple months you could see the deterioration in him almost on a daily basis, but the past week has not been good at all. His mind is getting confused over the simplest things and frustrates him beyond belief. This morning he went in for some blood/lab work and ended up getting a blood transfusion.

Its a little after 11:00pm and my mother and I just got home from the hospital. Dad had a bad reaction to the transfusion and only got 1 of the 2 units they wanted him to have. 101 fever and a white cell count of .2, needless to say he's in pretty tough shape not to mention hallucinating and talking gibberish.

Very very tough to watch when it was just a few short months ago he was an extremely active 79 years old. My Dad is a great guy and finer role model you could not find anywhere. The kind of guy every one loves to have around. When he goes he will be terribly missed, and hopefully it won't be for quite a while but that all depends on him and God.

If you could say a prayer for my Dad Orrin and my family for the strength thats needed I would be eternally grateful.

Matt.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Matt - my heart goes out to you and your family! I hope your Dad's condition improves soon! Prayers have been sent!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Matt....my thoughts and prayers are with you, your Dad and your family.

Sam Layton
06-25-2010, 1:14 AM
Matt,

Your Dad, you and your family are in my prayers.

God Bless, Sam

John Keeton
06-25-2010, 7:36 AM
Matt, it is so difficult to see a loved one deteriorate with cancer. I do pray for you, and your family, for strength, and for your Dad that he will not be in pain and suffer. You know, and I am sure your Dad knows, that the good Lord is in control and it is in Him that peace is found.

Jason Roehl
06-25-2010, 8:04 AM
Prayers sent. May your dad, you and your family find the grace, mercy and peace you need.

Rod Sheridan
06-25-2010, 8:05 AM
Matt, sorry to hear about your father, he'll be in my thoughts.........Regards, Rod.

Belinda Barfield
06-25-2010, 8:59 AM
Matt,

I'm sorry to hear this. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

David G Baker
06-25-2010, 9:02 AM
Matt,
You are in our prayers.

Tom Winship
06-25-2010, 9:10 AM
Matt, we will put your dad and family on our prayer list.

Rob Cunningham
06-25-2010, 9:25 AM
Matt, prayers sent for your Dad, you and your family.

Lee Schierer
06-25-2010, 11:45 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I watched my Dad undergo similar problems over a much shorter span and it wasn't easy. It's been 15 years and I still miss him. I think of him whenever I use the tools he left behind that now reside in my shop.

It is tough feeling powerless to help. Hang in there.

scott spencer
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
That sounds like a tough one Matt...for all of you. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Matt Ranum
06-25-2010, 7:16 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

We said goodbye to the greatest man I ever knew just before noon today. His organs began to shut down and it was decided to let him go, as that was his wish. He passed quietly with his family beside him just like he wanted. He will be missed by everyone that ever knew him.

Matt.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-25-2010, 7:17 PM
Prayer goes out for your dad, his medical team, your family and yourself. Keep us posted--we care.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 8:13 PM
Matt, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your father! Thoughts and prayers sent to you and your entire family for strength during this sad time. May he rest in peace.

Jason Roehl
06-25-2010, 8:22 PM
Our deepest condolences, Matt. We'll pray for your comfort and peace in the coming days of grief.

Kevin Gregoire
06-27-2010, 1:02 PM
Matt,
im very sorry for your loss and i know what your going through, i lost my father back in '89 when i was 23 and i still think of him nearly every day! my father was the toughest SOB i ever knew surviving three brain tumor removals but several years later lost the battle to a heart attack but your father like mine was met at the gates by his family and friends so have comfort knowing he wasn't alone at the end on either side of the light.
God bless you and your family.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-27-2010, 1:26 PM
Matt,

My sincere condolences for the loss of your Dad.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-27-2010, 1:28 PM
Sorry for for loss Matt. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Brett Hoffman
06-27-2010, 1:29 PM
Matt,

My sincere condolences for the loss of your Dad.

Jay Jolliffe
06-27-2010, 2:28 PM
Sorry about your father Matt. I went through something similar with my dad. It was hard to watch it happen. The way I looked at it with my father was when he passed the suffering was over for him & all the ones around him . It took 15 months watching someone die a little more each day.....

Nancy Laird
06-27-2010, 6:47 PM
Matt, my condolences to you and your mother and the rest of your family on the loss of your father. I know your pain; I lost my dad just a year ago, and the pain and loss are still fresh.

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. During this sad time words are often small comfort; it's only knowing that the one you cared for is beyond all pain and suffering and is in a far better place where you will some day be reunited that will truly ease your grief. I hope our Lord brings you all peace and only those happy memories of all the good times you and your father shared.

Dave Ray
06-27-2010, 8:22 PM
Matt, God Bless you and your family in this time of great grief.

Matt Ranum
06-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Ya know this is why I love this board. The sense of community here is very comfortable to convey our troubles and fears.

Thank you and God bless you all!

Sam Layton
06-28-2010, 1:16 AM
I am so sorry Matt.

God Bless you and your family, Sam

Michael Arruda
06-28-2010, 5:27 PM
My deepest condolences for your loss. The end is not merely the end, but a new beginning. Paul told the Corinthians that to be away from the body was to be present with the Lord. Though your father may be gone from our midst, he lives on in your hearts and minds, and more importantly, in his eternal home in Heaven where you shall one day be also. As you're asking for prayer, I assume and greatly hope he knew Jesus.

God bless,
Michael

Matt Ranum
06-28-2010, 5:43 PM
. As you're asking for prayer, I assume and greatly hope he knew Jesus.

God bless,
Michael

Yes he did Michael, he and his pastor had many many interesting discussions over the past few years. They greatly enjoyed each others company.

Rick Potter
06-29-2010, 12:08 PM
So sorry about your loss. He is with the Lord now, the pain is gone. My prayers go with you and your family. I lost both parents within a year, and can assure you that your grief will gradually fade, but your memories of him will endure.

Rick Potter

Marko Markovich Jr
07-07-2010, 11:12 AM
You and all of your family our on my prayers , Matt be strong

Michael MacDonald
07-07-2010, 3:54 PM
sorry to hear this Matt. I will keep your family in my thoughts.

Will Boulware
07-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Prayers sent.

James Jaragosky
07-08-2010, 6:37 PM
Prayer sent. may give you the grace to accept his answer.
Best wishes
Jim J