PDA

View Full Version : Oooo...this is fun!

Carole Valentine
11-30-2004, 6:17 PM
Don't have a clue what I am doing since there were zero directions with the lathe! This was the first piece of scrap I experimented with and it didn't blow up, so I feel a little better! Hopefully Bill's video will arrive tomorrow and I just went and picked up The Lathe Book. I may be up all night! :D This dry walnut seems a little hard to turn smooth. Maybe green is easier?
http://www.esva.net/~pchousecalls/lathe1_opt.jpg

Tyler Howell
11-30-2004, 6:24 PM
She's Toast!

Congrats Carole:cool:

Michael Stafford
11-30-2004, 6:35 PM
I warned you Carole. Good bye, so long, auf wiedersehen, adieu....You are lost forever... :rolleyes: ;) :p :D

Bobby McCarley
11-30-2004, 7:18 PM
Well, we tried to warn you Carole. Hope you didn't have any flat projects in the works because they are history now.
And that's not a bad looking spindle for the first time out. I see now we have another artist in the making. Keep at it.

P.S. Just remember you have to keep the picture police happy or they get real grumpy. Keep those pictures coming. :)

Bobby McCarley

Kenneth George
11-30-2004, 8:32 PM
Actually Carole Walnut is one of the easier woods to turn and I turn a lot since it is my wife’s favorite wood. No worries though you will soon get the hang of tool presentation and all the little knowledge tid bits that bring this all together.

It is true though that you are now a lost soul that is doomed to make square wood back to round. It is a Zen thing. All your other tools will start to seem pale by comparison to your lathe and they will all become support tools for your turning work. You will really enjoy that Jet mini as I love mine! I am up to 4 lathes now and so many tools that I have lost count.

Andy London
11-30-2004, 8:38 PM
That is pretty amazing for a first turn....It's o.k. though you are in very good company here in the turners forum(s) and we'll support you with your tool purchases...just ask away :D

It is a very addictive thing, Jim Becker warned me back in March when I bought the Jet Mini for my son it was just a drop in the bucket...didn't believe or understand him at the time :confused: but quite a few thousand dollars later and a new Oneway that arrived...I think I understand.

Now if I could only win the lottery and stay home, I would have more quality time with my lathe(s).

Richard Allen
11-30-2004, 8:42 PM
That is a nice looking spindle. Do you thing of things other than woodturning?

BTW you can remove the faceplate when useing the spur center.

Jim Becker
11-30-2004, 8:43 PM
...but quite a few thousand dollars later and a new Oneway that arrived...I think I understand.
Ah...a hidden gloat. Andy, Andy, Andy...THIS place has requirements. And they include pictures. You might be able to get away with the non-visual at that "other forum", but not here. No no no. The picture police will be on your back "real soon now..."!! :D

Carole...that's a wonderful start!! Be sure to console your other tools now as they will not be seeing much of the likes of you for awhile...hee hee

Tyler Howell
11-30-2004, 9:41 PM
[QUOTE=Andy London]It is a very addictive thing, Jim Becker warned me back in March when I bought the Jet Mini for my son it was just a drop in the bucket...didn't believe or understand him at the time :confused: but quite a few thousand dollars later and a new Oneway that arrived...I think I understand.

Andeeeeeeeee! I don't think we saw that Oneway!:mad:

Carole Valentine
11-30-2004, 10:17 PM
That is a nice looking spindle. Do you thing of things other than woodturning?

BTW you can remove the faceplate when useing the spur center.

Richard,
I have not figured out how to remove the faceplate yet. Did not see that in the "manual". I think I have to tap out the spur first with that thingy that came with it. Going to work on that tomorrow and see if I can mount a small bowl blank.

Dale Thompson
11-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Carole,
Please accept my sincerest condolences for your puchase of a lathe and the inevitable loss of perspective on all other aspects of woodworking. It's all downhill from here. ;) :D I wish you the very best! ;)

As has been said, the faceplate is not required for spindle turning. You can get in "closer" without it. Walnut should be a real pleasure to turn and the finish is dependent on your tool sharpness and tool presentation.

Turning "green" wood is a lot of fun. However, you will get your shield covered with moisture so you have to clean it often. Also, a "green" turning will usually shrink and crack if you take it all the way to the finished size. That can be fun too - unless you want the bowl to hold water.

NOW!! Most turners quit for one or both of two reasons; Sharp tools and the skew chisel. Get yourself a Wolverine sharpening jig for your gouges. The flat tool holder which comes with the system is fine for scrapers, parting tools and skews. Don't waste your money on the other attachments. In addition to Bill's video, you may wish to take a look at Richard Raffan's "Turning Wood" book and video. I grind all of my skews to the "Raffan Radius". It works for me. :)

Master the skew, get a good edge on your chisels and the sky is the limit. You will join the rest of our oppressed minority who claim that the world is "round". :eek: :eek: Sooner or later, we will prove that the world is NOT flat! ;)

Just a few thoughts from an old guy who keeps going around in circles. :cool:

Dale T.

Jim Young
11-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Now you are going to start looking at all the woodpiles laying in peoples' yards. I know I do.

Carole Valentine
11-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks, Dale. The skew is giving me a fit...I have trouble with it catching., but I will master it eventually. I am going to round off the sides a little too because they are so sharp they drag on the tool rest. And I am going to have to learn to sharpen those thing pretty quick! My 1/2" gouge is already dull! LOL

Carole Valentine
11-30-2004, 10:50 PM
but quite a few thousand dollars later and a new Oneway that arrived...I think I understand.

Oh no! I'm afraid of what lies ahead...am I going to have to sell everything but my bandsaw and chainsaw?
:eek:

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-30-2004, 10:55 PM
WE GOT ANOTHER ONE! Hooray!

Glad to have you in the WORLD OF ROUND!

Green wood will turn easier, But moves alot, so it's important how you turn it to keep it from cracking.

Bruce

Carole Valentine
11-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks, Bruce. :-) Now if I could just get that faceplate loose.....counterclockwise...won't budge. :(

Dale Thompson
11-30-2004, 11:48 PM
Thanks, Dale. The skew is giving me a fit...I have trouble with it catching., but I will master it eventually. I am going to round off the sides a little too because they are so sharp they drag on the tool rest. And I am going to have to learn to sharpen those thing pretty quick! My 1/2" gouge is already dull! LOL

Carole,
Some years ago I gave up turning for about two years because my skew always gave me a "catch" and always on the "last" cut. BOOM!! :mad:

With the, "Raffan Radius", the skew has become my best buddy. I now use my skew far more often than my gouges except for "cleaning" out stuff that needs "cleaning" out (spigots, bowls, etc.). Not only that but the skew gives you a much better finish than a gouge.

It is probably psychological. To me, skews, as sold, look more like "serial killer" weapons than WW tools. Putting a radius on the bevel really softens that appearance. :)

I'm probably just paranoid - or something? :o :confused: ;)

Dale T.

Charles McKinley
12-01-2004, 2:04 AM
Hi Carole,

Just wait until you spend almost or more on a chuck than you did on the lathe! :eek: Plus all of the tooling. :rolleyes: hehehehehe It is great fun. I'll second the Wolverine Jig. It is easy enough that even I can get sharp tools. :o The instructions recomend a 3600 rpm 8" grinder. I have it on the 1750 rpm Woodcraft. They are both on slae in the new flyer.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-01-2004, 6:57 AM
Don't know it you're jokin' or not about the faceplate, but it should come off if you put your knockout bar in one of the holes around the spindle, push on it and pull towards you on the faceplate.

If that doesn't work - time for the Chanellocks on the faceplate flange and proceed as before. Just a little aside. Putting a thin piece of wood over the spindle before installing the faceplate makes it a little easier to take off.

Bruce

Carole Valentine
12-01-2004, 7:45 AM
Don't know it you're jokin' or not about the faceplate, but it should come off if you put your knockout bar in one of the holes around the spindle, push on it and pull towards you on the faceplate.

If that doesn't work - time for the Chanellocks on the faceplate flange and proceed as before. Just a little aside. Putting a thin piece of wood over the spindle before installing the faceplate makes it a little easier to take off.

Bruce

No, I'm not jokin' at all! That rascal is on there tight and I can't budge it! I'm going to see if I can't snag a young he-man somewhere today and ask him to try and remove it. (Of course there are not many of those around here either!) I wish they had not shipped it in place and let me put it on myself.
:(

Andy London
12-01-2004, 8:31 AM
Oh no! I'm afraid of what lies ahead...am I going to have to sell everything but my bandsaw and chainsaw?
:eek:

I wouldn't part with the other tools as they will always be worth something but I can pretty much guaranty they will not see as much of your attention as they may have in the past.

It starts out as a simple pen turning, then perhaps a handle, then a bowl, then perhaps a goblet.....I am in the next stage which is hollow forms, it gets worse as time goes on.....It seems as we start to enjoy making one thing we challange ourselves to try something else we have seen which generally means more tools, more fun, more time :rolleyes:

I will get nabbed by the picture police again but I set up a vacuum chucking system for the mini a couple of weeks ago....man oh man is that fun!!!

I'm leaving my Oneway created until after the Christmas rush as I have to stay foucsed on client orders and having a frigggin lathe sitting in the shop I just can't concentrate on my woodworking.......It was so bad this summer, I would get up at 4:30 in the morning, make coffee, head to the shop, turn for a couple of hours, have a shower and head to the office and wonder what I would turn that evening......

Then came the wood collection addiction, my wife thinks I am totally nuts, I have at least 250 burls and probably 20 pickup loads of all types of wood I have been dragging home.....but my son who turns totally understands and we console each other :D I drive to client meetings and if I spy anything that looks interesting that's just lying there, I have to ask for it.....The other eveing while delivering a large framing order to our south end, I spied a pile of wood stacked from Hurricane Juan, I asked the client if I could look and ended up filling my truck with what looks like elm burls......Tis great clean fun though!!!

http://www.picframer.ca/Andrew.jpg

Andy

Carole Valentine
12-01-2004, 8:47 AM
Good grief! I hope you didn't take THAT pile home! LOL

Jim Becker
12-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Carole, you need to lock the spindle so you can use both hands to get that faceplate off since it seems someone used a little more, umm...force...to screw it on. I don't have the mini, but if there is not a "real" spindle lock, there should be a way to use a tommy bar to do the same as was suggested above. Worse case, you can try slightly heating the threaded portion face plate or a penetrating oil to get it to release. Yes, you do need to knock out the spur center first!

Kenneth George
12-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Ok Carole here is what you do, on the spindle right next to the headstock you will find a hole drilled into the spindle. Your knockout bar will fit in that hole. Get one of your tools and with the wooden end lightly rap around the center of the faceplate towards the headstock. You will need a wrench that will fit on the left side of the face plate. I use a large crescent wrench for this. With the knockout bar in the hole and set vertical and while applying pressure to the knockout bar with your left hand pushing away from the lathe while you pull on the wrench with your right hand. Do not use enough force to bend the knockout bar. You can grip the knockout bar lower and it will flex less. Sometimes it is necessary to give the wrench a quick jerk to loosen the faceplate.

Hope that helps some.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-01-2004, 5:44 PM
Another Stupid Question, Carol. Since this is a NEW Jet Mini, they may have made a change. By any chance is there a small HOLE in the flange of the faceplate? If there is, is there a set screw in it? They may be doing that now. When I got my Jet Mini, all the Faceplates, Drive centers, and other parts, etc. were in a bag.

Bruce

Carole Valentine
12-01-2004, 6:04 PM
I got it off, Bruce. No set screw but Richard suggested I bolt a piece of wood to it to give me more leverage and that worked. The threads had paint in them, so I think that was why it was stuck.

Steve Inniss
12-01-2004, 7:14 PM
Carole, congratulations we're truly excited for you.

Andy, wow!

-Steve

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-02-2004, 12:03 AM
WTG Carole - sorry for not adding the "E" before. Missed it with these OLD eyes.

You have passed an important lathe test today!

Bruce

Carole Valentine
12-02-2004, 9:29 AM
You have passed an important lathe test today!

Bruce
I have???? What was that?:confused:

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-02-2004, 7:04 PM
You didn't Let it Beat YOU!

HeHe

"Just one OLD man's idea of fun!"

Bruce

Julie Wright
12-02-2004, 8:55 PM
Carol,

To remove the faceplate you need to stick the spur center driver into the little hole on the silver neck where the faceplate screws in. This will allow you to hold it still while to unscrew the faceplate.

Jean Holland
12-03-2004, 5:09 PM
Carole,

I got my lathe (a 14" jet) last November and have been hooked ever since. I agree...oooh this is fun! :) I do feel out numbered though. There are so many male turners. Most of the clubs are male dominated. I know us women now have the "Women in Woodworking" magazine, and there are more and more women coming out of the woodwork. I got into this because I couldn't get my husband out of the garage....now I almost live there and I do see trees in a hole new way. I used to hate going to the woodworking shows, but this year, it me doing the leading!

Welcome and remember, one good turn deserves another!

Jean

Andy London
12-03-2004, 5:18 PM
Congrads Jean,

Our club has two ladies that turn, and turn really amazing work.

One of them (Sue) and I looked after our clubs table at the recent wood show. She told me her husband was heavy into scroll saw work and when he passed away for whatever reason whe went out and bought a lathe, she spends at least 5 hours a day turning.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-03-2004, 5:29 PM
Our Woodworking club has several Women mambers. I wish more would join.

WE bathe at least once a week, whether we need it or not. :eek:

We brush our teeth...............with toothpaste. too. :p

We don't use Nasty language (AT least not out loud). :rolleyes:

WE DO Support our members efforts. :D

And we only charge $18.00 per year membership for us youngsters and $9.00 for seniors.

All in all, a good group.

Bruce ;)

Carole Valentine
12-03-2004, 7:10 PM
Hi Jean! I have been a flat worker, but got the lathe because I could never find anyone to turn spindles for me. I think I made a mistake!:D You know, now that I think about it, I really don't pay much attention to gender...the common bond of working with wood sort of overrides that and I have found the folks in all the forums I visit are the greatest bunch I have ever met! I just hope I get to meet a lot of them in person some day. Unfortunately, we have no woodworking or turning clubs within reasonable driving distance. That makes sharing with you guys and gals all the more important to me,:)

Tyler Howell
12-03-2004, 8:00 PM
Julie's Back! We've missed you. Details and pix!!!!!