PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out a special turning bench

Jeff Yates
06-24-2010, 11:41 PM
I originally joined SMC several years back when I bought a Palmgren Lathe on Amazon...what a fiasco that turned out to be. I'm sure some folks made them work well, but for me it was just bad. Two motors, belt problems, etc..etc...

Well honestly it turned me off for a while...i finally gave up and sold it to someone else (Who I found out went through at least one more motor)...

Flash forward to more recent times I'm putting my woodshop back together and my now wife has been pushing for a small lathe...

Today I found it, a lightly used Shop Fox midi lathe...intact with an extra three jaw chuck. Now there are better midi lathes out there, but this should give her and myself a good idea if this is something we want to get into...

I'm setting a grinder up with some alum oxide wheels and have some Harbor Freight HSS tools in route...

Here's the trip...I need to make her a bench she can sit at to use, and that I can use as well. Tricky part, she's 5'4", and I'm 6'6". Any ideas on a way to make this happen?

If we can get the hang of this I intend to pick us up either a Jet Midi or possibly something a bit larger...

Any ideas?

Rob Cunningham
06-25-2010, 8:44 AM
You could make a height adjustable bench with some chain, sprockets and threaded rod. I'm pretty sure Jim Becker built a workbench like this. Maybe shoot him a PM and pick his brain.
Here's a youtube link that might give you some ideas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5GIelbvLV4

Dick Strauss
06-25-2010, 9:20 AM
You could make a riser block system 14" high that either bolts or clamps to the workbench...?

3 jaw chucks are normally used for metal, not wood.

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2010, 9:25 AM
I feel your pain with the Palmgren lathe. I had that lathe sold by Craftsman. I spent more time getting it fixed than I turned. 3 sets of belts, a motor, a couple of gears and a speed control. The neighbor has it now using it for spare parts. I bought mine after seeing his. Looks can be deceiving.

John Hart
06-25-2010, 9:52 AM
I just went through all the old threads to the "Palmgren Frenzy". It is unfortunate that so many people got sucked into that "special pricing". It just ended up being a nightmare. (I remember your nightmare Bernie....I really felt bad for you :()

I wonder if Bonnie Campbell still has hers?

But....it was fun to read the old threads. Everyone was so excited at the time....especially you Jeff.

I hope you have a better go'round this time. Turning is such a pleasurable addiction.:)

Now...on your table...That is an intriquing question. I have to think a bit.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 10:07 AM
I like Dick's idea of using a riser system. That way you could build the bench to a comfortable height for you and then make a riser system to fit your wife for when she wants to use the system.

Thom Sturgill
06-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I remember reading an article a few years ago in one of the general woodworking mags about legs for a workbench that adjust. Might be a bit spendy, but I will try to find the article later.
Ah, the internet is great - here's a link http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/shop/archive/2009/07/02/adjustable-workbench.aspx (http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/shop/archive/2009/07/02/adjustable-workbench.aspx)

I was right they were almost $500 when the article was written.

John Hart
06-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Ok....here's my idea (then I'll duck and run)

Build a fake floor 14" high and hinge it to the wall at the baseboard. When you use the lathe, you just put away the floor like one of those old closet ironing board things. When she uses the lathe, you just pull down the floor. Make it sturdy enough to handle stools and the weight...but not too heavy...so it's easy to hinge up and down.

Ok...now I'll run away. :)

Jeff Yates
06-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Well I appreciate all the support and ideas...

I may very well go with a riser block system for this beast for now, at least to get it started.

After reading through this I went back to re-read...wow, I was a bit excited huh?

THe sad sad truth about all this, I now have to go and repurchase all the accessories for this lathe...*laugh*...I feel my wallet throbbing already...

Dennis Ford
06-25-2010, 8:26 PM
Jeff;
Having your wife stand on a riser to make up that much difference in height might be dangerous. An adjustable bench could work but will require careful design to make it easy to adjust and reasonable cost.
Two additional options if you have the space;
Get another lathe, set one up for you and one for her. You can share tools, might not cost more than hardware for a fancy height adjustable bench.

Make two benches and move the lathe between them.

Peter Hay in Aus
06-25-2010, 9:03 PM
Jeff,
I understand a little about height differences between a husband and wife I am 6foot2 my wife 5foot1 1/2 or we were when we married 55 yrs ago.

I turn for preference at a bench I welded from steel topped with 1 1/4 inch top, i took the drive to the lathe out the head stock to the motor and inverter speed control mounted on the table as well to prevent legs and belt complications. This enabled me to run my dust extraction up through the rails as well directly under my pen mandrel system for pens ie.
Now I use what is called a Draughtsman swivel chair and I sit up fairly high on that it works wonderfully for me.

At our Wood Guild we made a platform for shorter workers to use that resulted in some danger from the vertically challenged who fell off the platform so I figure that was dangerous. Two different height chairs would do it by the way want a shock the sitting height difference can be no where near the standing height difference. If it would help I can send pics of my set up using a VL100 Lathe that I use solely for Pens. In fact if you will excuse my being presumptuous I will look up and send the pics on this thread.

Have success Peter.

Peter Hay in Aus
06-25-2010, 9:38 PM
Back again. Pic 1 shows overall view.

Pic 2 Shows location of the motor,cover over drive belt,variable speed control in brown box on the LHS of the Lathe.

Pic 3. Mandrel Set up I only turn half a pen at a time for accuracy, dust extraction through the lathe rails had to make a deeper tool rest this was a real advantage the angle is perfect for me in use, note the collet mandrel and the RHS nesting of the mandrel shaft in the brass bush in the live centre ( I hate the idea of 60 degree point in the end of any mandrel)

Pic 4 Small ex Lab Stirrer , fitted a brass sleeve on the shaft to take the buff, has variable speed this is located behind the bearing press I use at eye height sitting to press my pens.

The Lathe is an Aussie Vicmarc VL100 This system works wonders for me.

Have success Peter.

Jeff Yates
06-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Thank you both...

Perhaps I misunderstood the original suggestion, I was thinking of a riser for the lathe itself, at least until I can figure out how to make an adjustable bench...

I was thinking of mounting it to a desk height bench for her, bolted down to a single 2x8 and clamped down to the bench/desk.

When I use it, build an open faced bench to clamp between it...thus a riser for the lathe. I have several 12" C Clamps that should hold this mini lathe down with little to no problems...

I am looking for a doctor style stool that has up and down as a partial solution as well...

David E Keller
06-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Not sure how to verbalize this, but here it goes. Why not make a two sided seat? Could you create a bench seat that resembles two chairs back to back... Sort of like a short chair seat on one side with a taller seat on the other. That way you would only need to turn it 180 degrees depending on the user. Unless I'm misunderstanding, you intend for both of you to be able to sit at the lathe.

Allen Neighbors
06-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Thank you both...
I am looking for a doctor style stool that has up and down as a partial solution as well...

I was going to suggest a stool like I use at my VL 100... it's like an adjustable piano stool... only mine has four legs and is made out of metal... I love it.
And you can get by with only one of those clamps... in the center (front or rear) of the 2x8 if you have a rubber sheet under the 2x8. I held mine steady with only on Jorgensen clamp...

Peter, that's a truly nice setup...

Tom Wilson66
06-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Jeff, I use a drafting stool to sit at the lathe. It will go up high enough to let your wife use it at the lathe, and it has wheels to allow moving around fairly easy.:) Of course, my daytime job is drafting, so I have used one at work since the mid '60s:rolleyes: Most office supply stores that sell furniture will have these in stock. or can order.