PDA

View Full Version : Old tools from vacation shopping

Andrew Recher
06-24-2010, 11:24 PM
I've recently returned from vacation where I came across a number of old tools that I couldn't pass up. Besides the "diamond in the rough" type 11 no.5 bailey (which I may post about after it's cleaned up) I bought two handsaws. I'd appreciate any info anyone might have on what these may be.

The first one ($4.00) is a straight backed saw. I've not seen a handle with screws like this before, though I'm fairly new at this. It has no nib on the plate and from what I could read of the etching it looked like a diamond with text that read something like "Regal Temper" or something like that. Could be a homemade handle (?). This is kinda rough, though fairly straight, and probably needs to be re-toothed.

The second saw ($15.00) has a nib and a fairly unreadable etch. There is an enlargement of the escutcheon nut in the one photo. Again, the plate appears straight and overall OK. The handle-not so good.

I plan to clean these up and use them so was not too worried about their "collectability". I'm posting these pics because I'd like to know a little more about these, if possible, before diving in and fixing them up. Plus, I think a few of you might like looking at old tools as much as I do;).

Thanks,

Andy

Jim Koepke
06-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Yep, pictures of old tools does tend to keep the keyboard loaded up with the requisite supply of drool.

I would guess the first saw does have a replacement handle and the second one is made by Warren Ted Superior, also known as an unbranded saw that was made by just about any saw maker as a lower price alternative to the top named lines.

Both will likely make good users once they are cleaned up and retoothed.

jim

Rick Rutten
06-25-2010, 8:22 AM
"Warren Ted Superior" LOL!! Thanks for the laugh to start the morning!

Jim Koepke
06-25-2010, 11:23 AM
"Warren Ted Superior" LOL!! Thanks for the laugh to start the morning!

Glad to lend a chuckle.

I was thinking of doing Warren Theodore Superior, but not sure everyone would catch that. These days it seems there are more women wearing a Teddy than guys wearing the name.

jim

Andrew Recher
06-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm just glad to know the rust and crappy handles on these aren't valuable.:)

Jim Koepke
06-25-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm just glad to know the rust and crappy handles on these aren't valuable.:)

The value is in the things you can make using them.

jim

Andrew Recher
07-14-2010, 7:27 PM
Sorry to drag this up again, but I was cleaning up the saw plate tonight on the saw with the nib (see first post) and I can actually see the etch pretty well. It says "Wilmington Saw Works". A google search turned up very little other than that they were a tool manufacturer in the late 1880's in , you guessed it, Wilmington Delaware.

I've just about finished up the new handle for it, based on the one that came off of it, out of cherry. I know cherry is a little soft for this but I liked the look of it. Has anyone used a wood hardener product for smallish parts like this? I know that knifemakers will sometimes soak handle material in it (or even a BLO mix) under a vacuum to try to toughen up the wood. I may give it a try.

Andrew

Andrew Recher
07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Here it is all finished up. It's filed 8 tpi rip. This was my first real attempt at sharpening also and I'll have to say I'm happy with the results though I see a saw vise in my near future.

I've decided to, and have already begun, making a frame saw (Thanks Harry, for the idea) out of the other of these two saws. It was a good length for it (26") and seemed to be a little narrow (sharpened too many times?). I'll post pics of it as it progresses.

Thanks for all the inspiration.

Andy

George Sanders
07-20-2010, 6:59 AM
I have been reading the Distonian Institutes extensive resources for some time and according to the site the two stars in the emblem indicate that Disston made that saw. I have several Disston saws and that handle is easily recognized even to my eyes. Clean them up, sharpen them and enjoy them.

I think it's a sad comment on the quality of tools today when the second line offerings of yesteryear are still better than the first line offerings of many manufacturers today.