PDA

View Full Version : Turning PT pine?

Joe Shinall
06-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Can you turn pressure treated pine without tearing up your gouges?

I have some 4x4's I want to turn round in some sections for an outdoor swinging bed I was asked to build. It's a cheap project and the family can't afford cedar so I'm doing everything with PT pine.

David E Keller
06-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Should be ok... the dust can be nasty, but your tools will be fine. It's not the easiest wood to turn, but it's cheap enough to buy more if you get a catch with the skew:eek:

Michael James
06-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Should be ok... the dust can be nasty, but your tools will be fine. It's not the easiest wood to turn, but it's cheap enough to buy more if you get a catch with the skew:eek:

quadruple double ditto what dave pointed out:
From what I've read, the dust is major toxic. Id use a respirator fer sure. Better safe than sorry, healthwise.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Yes you can turn it, though I would not, tooo hazardous for my health to use that stuff.

Larry Marley
06-25-2010, 1:07 AM
Yes you can turn it, though I would not, tooo hazardous for my health to use that stuff.

I think I am with Leo on this one.

Jamie Straw
06-25-2010, 2:36 AM
+1 on the health hazard votes. Nasty stuff. Just think about the specially coated hardware that's required when building something out of it.:eek:

John Hart
06-25-2010, 5:35 AM
I did some Deck Post tops out of pressure treated 4X4s three years ago. Worked fine. I didn't enjoy it....but it was fine.:)

John Keeton
06-25-2010, 6:47 AM
Found this quote -

Inhalation of wood dust which has been permeated with ACQ chemicals can result in extreme inflammation. Repeated exposure can cause permanent irritation to the bronchial tubes resulting in asthma, greater likelihood of upper respiratory track infection, or prolonged colds. In some instances bronchitus can become chronic even after exposure to the dust is minimized. Monoethanolamine is a highly corrosive substance which if inhaled in larger quantities can create damage to the lungs and nervous system. Didecyldimethylammonium chloride is dangerously caustic in significant doses and can scar lungs, throat, and respiratory tissues.

Just think about the specially coated hardware that's required when building something out of it.:eek:Jamie, I have this same thought everytime I drink a Coke! Ever put a nail in one to see how long it lasts?:D

Tim Rinehart
06-25-2010, 7:39 AM
What about one of those draw knifes? May be too much effort, and I expect the knifes aren't cheap...but worth looking into. Would give that 'hand-hewn' look.

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2010, 8:10 AM
Joe I would make sure you have some kind of breathing protection. I don't mean a paper mask either. A friend of mine turned some and it isn't good. He has asthma and chronic bronchitus. He used a paper mask from the local hardware store.

It will turn ok but make sure you are protected with some type of breathing protection such as Airstream, Triton or Trend Pro. A dust collector and/or air cleaner would be good to.

Todd Tyler
06-25-2010, 12:06 PM
I turn it all the time for jam chucks. Cheap, BUT, good dust collection is a must.
Todd

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 6:06 PM
Joe - sorry, but I am not familiar with what lathe you have. Any chance you can turn this stuff outside? That would be my first thought - move everything outdoors - wear some form of breathing protection and keep your exposure to a minimum!

Joe Shinall
06-29-2010, 1:30 PM
Joe - sorry, but I am not familiar with what lathe you have. Any chance you can turn this stuff outside? That would be my first thought - move everything outdoors - wear some form of breathing protection and keep your exposure to a minimum!

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been on this week.

Steve I have a Excilsor mini lathe from Rockler with the bed extension. I have it mounted to a low heavy dresser on a mobile base and yes I can take it outside and was planning on it. I am going to buy a good respirator before I try it and was weighing my options there.

I know about the health risks and plan on taking the proper precautions, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to break apart or be too hard with the chemicals in it.

And Tim, as far as the draw knive, I am FAR from neander! :cool:

Thom Sturgill
06-29-2010, 2:04 PM
Joe, If I remember correctly, in modern PT lumber the treatment does not penetrate very well and you are required to paint the ends of any cut pieces. It might be better to cut regular SYP and then stain/paint it.

Joe Shinall
06-29-2010, 2:47 PM
I thought of that too Thom. The piece is going to be painted anyways, but noone local has 4x4 non pressure treated lumber. I guess I could glue up 2 2x4's.