PDA

View Full Version : Gizzly 10" Wet Sharpening system opinions needed

Rick Markham
06-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Ok, here is the deal guys, I am in need of a a wet grinder. I don't really want to spend the money on a Tormek T7, but I will if it is really a nearly life long product. I am not terribly interested in the Jet version, I have read a few too many reviews about people having problems with them.

Now here is where the Grizzly come in, I would really like to know y'alls opinion of it, How does it compare with the Tormek. I will be using it for grinding primary bevels on plane irons, and chisels. The Grizzly really does interest me, for one major reason (other than cost)... Customer service, I know if there is a problem that Shiraz and Grizzly will take care of it, It has been proven on the creek.

I do want your honest opinions of it. Good and bad. I want a good wet grinder, that there are after-market wet stones available, and good accurate sturdy accessories that wont be a PITA to use. I want something that I can rely on, not another thing to fidgit with and get a headache.

John McClanahan
06-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Are you talking about the Tormak clone? Grizzly sells a couple of different wet sharpeners.

John

Rick Markham
06-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Yeah the Tormek clone Model T10010. The 90 RPM one

David Helm
06-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Don't know much about the Tormek or the Grizz. I went with the worksharp 3000. Not a wet grinder but absolutely magnificent as a sharpener for chisels and plane irons.

John McClanahan
06-25-2010, 8:27 AM
My guess is that is the same as the one Harbor Freight Tools (used?) to sell. I have a HF model. It is good enough for me, but you get what you pay for, compared to the Tormak.

John

Alan Lightstone
06-25-2010, 8:59 AM
I just went with the T-3 and have been very happy with it.

John Shuk
06-25-2010, 9:03 AM
I'm interested in knowing what people think about this too. There have been precious few accounts of what people who have bought this think of it.
The Tormek style sharpener seems to be the very best option for what I'd like to do.

Paul Johnstone
06-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Ok, here is the deal guys, I am in need of a a wet grinder. I don't really want to spend the money on a Tormek T7, but I will if it is really a nearly life long product. I am not terribly interested in the Jet version, I have read a few too many reviews about people having problems with them.

I went through this research process a couple years ago. I wish I could remember specifics, but the conclusion is, "yes, you do get what you pay for"..

I remember someone saying that the lower priced units have poorer quality stones that are inferior.

I ended up getting the T7, but there are older versions (Tormek 2000-something) on ebay a lot. Most of them come with the jig to resurface the stone (which was not included in the original model). The other differences, if I recall .. the T-7 had a better chisel jig and a stainless steel shaft.. both of these can be added on to the older model, I think.. please verify on your own.

But the point is that used tormeks are on ebay every day, if money is an issue. I'd go that route before buying a Griz/Jet, unless the budget doesn't give you an option. Keep in mind that the T-7 has a 10" wheel, while some other brands only have an 8" wheel too.

I really hated sharpening before the Tormek. I won't say that sharpening is fun now, but I certainly do it more often.

Josiah Bartlett
06-25-2010, 6:13 PM
I have the Grizzly T10010. It is actually made in Germany, not China. I'm on my second one, the first one was damaged in shipping and had a bent axle. The second one is fine. The Grizzly accessories aren't as nice as the Tormek, but the Tormek accessories fit on the Grizzly. My unit arrived with a stone that was a bit wobbly, but after jointing/dressing it it runs true now.

In my opinion, the strop wheel on this unit is junk. The plastic hub is too flimsy and it warps, and the seam is too tall. I'm planning to replace it but I don't care about the strop wheel as much as the grinding side.

I've used my unit to grind some Stanley #4 and #6 Bedrock plane irons and it does a good enough job for me. I haven't tried to sharpen a jointer knife or anything like that with it.

I think its an OK value, but I've never owned a Tormek, I've only seen them in store displays, so I don't know how good they are in actual use compared to the Grizzly unit.

Carl Beckett
06-25-2010, 6:56 PM
I use a combination of sandpaper, and some oil stones, and even a friable grinding wheel put on the table saw.

Recently purchased the 8" Grizzly wet grinder. Its under $100.

I have sharpened some plane irons, chisels, and 'tried' sharpening a couple kitchen paring knives. I have never used a Tormek side by side. Thoughts:

Its great to sharpen completely cold without concern of overheating.

The stone that came with it is relatively coarse. I use it for roughing in the bevels and finishing micro bevels on sandpaper or the fine oil stones. You could get a finer stone for it (like a Japanese water stone), for much more $$

Its not a speed demon - you still need to take some time if you need to remove a lot of material

I find the chisel/plane guide that came with it to be adequate (use some tricks when using them, like always keeping pressure in the same way, moving the plane iron across the stone to mitigate high spots, etc)

Runout wasnt that bad. I still used a dresser to clean it up.

After grinding there is a fairly large wire edge. Again, I use the sandpaper to take this off.

For knives, the stone was too coarse (for me). I like a fine stone/finish on a knife edge

I dont really care about fit/finish. It turns on, it rotates true. The water tank, etc, is plastic (fine by me... plastic doesnt rust).

I think I will stick with the friable wheel for larger planer/jointer knives. A better/sharper edge, and ok as long as I am careful not to overheat.

Overall - I am happy with it. A very functional device that didnt break the bank. Someday I might try a Tormek demo at one of the stores if I have a chance, 'maybe' I would understand the 5x difference in price then. or 7-8x difference once all the fixtures are purchased. Maybe.

John McClanahan
06-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Both of the wheels wobble on my HF model. The stone can be dressed, but nothing can be done for the strop wheel. If you have to replace the junk wheels, you might as well spend more for better quality.

Mine was a display model, and I got it for $59, so I guess I shouldn't complain too loudly.:D

John

Rick Markham
06-26-2010, 3:33 AM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input, I guess I really have a bunch more thinking to do. In the meantime I guess it is an oportunity to save some more money while deciding. Ugh... :rolleyes:

ken gibbs
06-26-2010, 7:24 AM
I bought my Griz two years ago and its worth the money. I don't use it very hard and you have to learn how to dress the wheel and to concentrate on the accessories, plade holders, etc. It is easy to use for touchups on secondary bevels by just holding the tool in your hand and eye balling the best grinding angle. Good buy.

Steve Bracken
06-26-2010, 1:17 PM
I'd love a tool sharpening system like that .... and I'm sure any of them, used correctly, will work just fine :)

I've just started using waterstones for my chisels. The 6000 grit puts an edge on that is so sharp it scares the crap outa me :D:D:D

Rick Markham
06-26-2010, 4:10 PM
Steve, ya think that's nice and sharp... You need to get a 16000 (.92 microns) stone! polish the back with it, and wipe all your wire edges off with it... and finally polish the tiniest micro bevel with it after the 6000 grit, boy that 6000 grit edge will seem like a butter knife :D