PDA

View Full Version : Well, I ain't no.....

John Keeton
06-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Ken Hill, Jack Mincey, Aaron Wingert, Brian Watts, etc. FOR SURE!!

But, the fellow I work with is an avid waterfowl hunter - actually, obsessive would be a more approriate word!! He really wants to make some goose calls - Goose Comanche is his "tag." He is not a woodworker, and has not turned on a lathe, but bought a $30 lathe at an auction. The other evening, he came over for a short lesson, and tonite he came over with some wood, and some call inserts.

He wanted to watch as I turned these - one pic with flash, one without. Walnut was the first one, and then the two cocobolo. My first calls, and I enjoyed making them, but won't be doing many. Too much repetition for me.

But, I predict he will own a new lathe soon!;)

The photo setup was William's idea - not bad!

James Combs
06-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Don't know anything about calls but I love the cocobolo. Nice!

Brian Greb
06-24-2010, 10:40 PM
"The force is strong with this one..." "Drawn to the dark side he will be"
Good job drawing your friend to the vortex.

nice calls... I've been thinking about giving that a try sometime.

David E Keller
06-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Nice looking calls, but more importantly, congrats on helping another onto the slippery slope into the vortex.:)

Leo Van Der Loo
06-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Now who's being lured here ;-)), Hunter or Duck ??

Yes I agree the Cocobolo does look nice, probably doesn't matter what you turn it in to, the stuff is a little expensive for me to turn it into chips and shavings ;-))

Baxter Smith
06-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Good looking calls and the cocobolo really shines!

Roger Chandler
06-24-2010, 11:33 PM
John,

Ya did good! Very good results for your first try at making a call. I am not congratulating you, cause you have already proven yourself to rise to any occasion. You helped a newbie, which looks like he won't retain that status for very long with a friend like yourself!

Good job on the turning! I guess I will congratulate you after all!

John Hart
06-25-2010, 5:39 AM
It's fun to bring a non-turner in and work a little magic....and watch them transform as you transform plain wood into art.
It tickles them....and you can see it all over their faces.:)

Nice job Mr Keeton sir.;)

brian watts
06-25-2010, 5:47 AM
hope one DAY the man above lets me to be half as good as you are...MR.K i really like them..

Thom Sturgill
06-25-2010, 6:55 AM
Nice calls. I may have to do a few, I don't know if my hunter BsIL hunt waterfowl, or just deer being in the NC mountains. I'm sure they will want one of some kind if they do.

I fully understand, and agree with, the comment about not making many. Unless I could get enough variation in projects, I do not like making 'production' runs. Too much like 'work' instead of 'fun'.

Roland Martin
06-25-2010, 7:41 AM
Nice job on the calls John. First thing you know, your friend will be a regular in the forum and a poorer man than now;).

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2010, 7:58 AM
John those are beauties. Coco looks good but I am a little partial to walnut.

bob svoboda
06-25-2010, 8:23 AM
John (Vortex-Meister) Nice job on the calls and the grooming of another victim.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 10:25 AM
All the calls look pretty good! Did you let your friend try his hand at turning them? How did he like the finished product?

charlie knighton
06-25-2010, 10:31 AM
very nice, its a slippery sloop to climb the learning curve

Keith Burns
06-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Very nice calls John. Good spindle practice.

Ken Hill
06-25-2010, 11:46 AM
There ya go!!!

Your package will leave shortly as well...I havent had internet or phone for 9 days:mad: But I do have some real purrrttty Persimmon Turkey calls to share:D

John Keeton
06-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks, guys. These were just a way to get him interested in turning - he took all the calls with him to show his goose buddies!

Steve, I did let him do some turning the other nite. He went the next day to HF and bought a set of tools, and went home and did a pretty decent job on a "bonker." But, he wanted me to do the cocobolo because he didn't want to mess it up. And, he wanted to watch me use all the different tools. Kind of a "monkey see - monkey do" thing.

Notwithstanding that he is another attorney, he is pretty quick.:rolleyes: I think he will probably do some on his own now.

I really didn't know too much about the correct profile (if there is one??), so I don't know if these are typical. But, they seemed to look OK to me.

I have been leaving catalogues on his desk, and dropping little hints here and there - won't be long before he drops over the edge!!!:D;)

Thanks, Ken!! Looking forward to it!! And, looking forward to seeing those turkey calls.

Mike Minto
06-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Quack, quack...:p

Bill Bolen
06-25-2010, 7:04 PM
WTG John! Spread the addiction!! Like the calls too...Bill..

Karl Card
06-26-2010, 1:17 AM
John those are very nice.

To me all wood is nice, just some is nicer than others...

Seems game calls are the big thing these days...

John,
You said your buddy would be having a new lathe soon, yours?! lol