PDA

View Full Version : Black Oak

Michael E. Thompson
06-24-2010, 10:02 PM
I just finished rough turning a black oak HF. First time turning this stuff. Never been a big fan of oak anyway, but this wood turned everything black. The lathe bed, my tools, chuck, my hands. It that normal??? Funny thing is the wood itself is not black, just some hints of it in the heartwood. Can anyone turning this tell me more about it. I have several pieces left over, but may not use it. I can't get it washed off my hands.

Thanks
Mike

Cathy Schaewe
06-24-2010, 10:10 PM
I hear lemon juice is helpful for getting that off your hands. Give it a try and let us know -

Prashun Patel
06-24-2010, 10:11 PM
I believe it's a chemical reaction with the oak's tannic acid. It'll wear off in a day or two.

John Keeton
06-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Probably the tannin in the oak, Michael, and I agree on the lemon juice. Also, citrus hand cleaner does a pretty good job!

BTW, no pics - didn't happen!

Robert McGowen
06-24-2010, 10:14 PM
I can not directly answer your question about oak, Michael, but turning fresh green mesquite will turn your hands black for a day or so. It will also stain your tools, but is not as bad as you are describing. I am guessing that it is the same thing though. Harmless, but annoying.

Brian Greb
06-24-2010, 10:22 PM
You must have some kind of strange disease, may be it's lathe plague!:eek:

Seriously now

It's just a tannons in the wood reacting with you hands and tools.

Industrial hand cleaner and some lemon juice seems to get it off.

Michael E. Thompson
06-24-2010, 10:34 PM
OK here's the pics. I was wondering if I was going to get called out on that. The pic of my hand does no justice, its much darker than it show. The HF should finish nicely though, nice colors in it.

I will find the lemon juice. Thanks for the tip.

David E Keller
06-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Yep... Your hands are dirty!

Walnut will do the same thing.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Nice piece, just one "heads up" here, don't wipe the wood with your wet hands that have held any iron/steel, as it will stain the wood like your hands.
The black stain is from the steel or iron where the tannic acid has come in contact with, so what you have is diluted iron on your hands, things like vinegar or lemon juice or the like will dissolve the iron from your hands and you can then wash it off, kind of off ;-))

Frank Van Atta
06-25-2010, 1:07 AM
I've had numerous cases of "black hand" from turning mesquite and/or oak - Fast Orange Hand Cleaner takes it right off.

charlie knighton
06-25-2010, 5:03 AM
Mike, your story brought a smile to my face, it helped bring back memories of my first mesquite hf, i named it Apache Revenge

Michael E. Thompson
06-25-2010, 8:14 AM
Nice piece, just one "heads up" here, don't wipe the wood with your wet hands that have held any iron/steel, as it will stain the wood like your hands.
The black stain is from the steel or iron where the tannic acid has come in contact with, so what you have is diluted iron on your hands, things like vinegar or lemon juice or the like will dissolve the iron from your hands and you can then wash it off, kind of off ;-))

Thanks for the tip Leo. Now that you mention it, the wood had turned black around the opening where I had my hand inside checking thickness (same hand holding the steel end of the tool).

The piece is soaking in DNA now, hopefully I will have a finished piece soon.

Thanks again.
Mike

David Woodruff
06-25-2010, 9:26 AM
Oak has a high concentration of Tannins and Tannic acid. Historically oak and oak bark has been used in the leather tanning process as the tannins react with plant proteins. Tannin itself is a polyphenol and is present is wine, fruits, etc. Actually Tannin is an old word meaning Oak.

Mike Minto
06-25-2010, 9:48 AM
Yep... Your hands are dirty!

Walnut will do the same thing.

So will Mimosa (Alibiza / Silkwood). Mike

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Really nice form! Looking forward to seeing the finished hollow form!