PDA

View Full Version : Well I think (fingers crossed )

Ray Bell
06-24-2010, 9:05 PM
That my Nova DVR is fixed. I got the parts installed last night and roughed out a bowl today. There were many intentional (yeah really);) and many unintentional heavy catches. Not once did the lathe shut down, or display the "low voltage" message. So I love my lathe again. If running like it should, it really is a very smooth, nice machine.

Now I am anxious to try out the vacuum system. I found the 2" coupling locally, but could not fine the reducers. I did find them on the internet though, and should be delivered next week. I am having a real problem with the foam though. I haven't been able to find this locally, or on the internet. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

Bernie Weishapl
06-24-2010, 9:32 PM
Ray glad you got it fixed. Vacuum pump is going to be nice once you get it done.

Ray Bell
06-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks Bernie, looking forward to it.

David E Keller
06-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Glad to hear she's up and running... Can't help you with the foam as I still haven't jumped into the world of vacuum chucks.

Thom Sturgill
06-25-2010, 7:10 AM
Ray, Walmart and many craft stores sell sheets of closed cell foam that has adhesive on one side. They are only about 1/16" thick, but work well, and can be layered if needed. I also use them on jamb chucks.

Ray Bell
06-25-2010, 8:07 AM
Thanks Thom, I have checked all the crafts stores in the area, but haven't checked Wal Mart yet. I will check it out.

bob svoboda
06-25-2010, 8:21 AM
Glad to hear you are back up and running. I'll bring you some foam that I am useing when I visit you tomorrow!! See you then.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Ray - glad to hear that your lathe is running again!

As far as foam - I use the thin closed cell packing foam that comes in a lot of UPS/mail orders. Very thin but works great! I do not glue it to the chuck - just cut an X in the middle of a piece of the foam to allow for air flow and hold between the turning and the chuck when seating the wood. Really works for me!

Tim Rinehart
06-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks Thom, I have checked all the crafts stores in the area, but haven't checked Wal Mart yet. I will check it out.

I referenced alot of information in this site for building my vacuum system, and bought some fittings/valves from them out of convenience with one place to get what I needed. http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/vacuumchucking.htm

I bought the closed cell tape from veneersupplies and it works well on my home-made PVC chucks. I too had difficulty finding it at Walmart and craft shops...perhaps I didn't look in right places. I bought the 3/4" x 1/16" x 3' roll from this outfit. Makes several chucks with tape to spare. http://www.veneersupplies.com/categories/Vacuum__Press__Items/Vacuum__Clamping/

Oh...one other thing. Maybe some better adhesive on other tapes out there, but I ended up lightly applying a little CA to the edges to help seal the tape to my chucks.

I like Steve's idea about just holding the piece of packing material up against the chuck when placing piece on...definitely worth trying before buying anything special.

Ray Bell
06-25-2010, 6:40 PM
Bob, Steve, Tim,

Good ideas all, thank you. I have been fishing all day, so didn't get a chance to look anywhere, and actually I may not have to. Thanks for the offer Bob. I am going to get the 2" coupling ready this evening, and if you have enough foam for that, it would be much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. This little town is pretty busy this weekend. Cool Desert Nights going on.