PDA

View Full Version : First turnings, some Pens

Dave Wagner
06-24-2010, 8:28 PM
Hi all, been following the site for a little while....

I bought a used lathe (Older Craftsman) and thought I would try my hand at some pens (for gifts, etc..). These are my first pens (right) (and pencils on the left) . I have some nieces/nephews that just graduated.

Most of the dark ones are Rosewood, one Red heart and the lighter ones are curly oak.

Thanks for looking... :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=363&pictureid=3612

Billy Tallant
06-24-2010, 9:34 PM
Dave,

Nice looking pens there... I like the unusual looking shapes.

Bernie Weishapl
06-24-2010, 9:35 PM
Really nice looking pens Dave. Kind of addictive so watch out.

John Keeton
06-24-2010, 10:10 PM
He has entered the "spin zone!!!" Great job, Dave! You gotta remember though - you don't have to turn 'em all in one nite!!:D

Donny Lawson
06-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice shape on those pens
Donny

David E Keller
06-24-2010, 10:48 PM
They all look good, but I think I like the oak pens the best. I just love the simple smooth curves.

Careful with pens or you may soon have thousands of blanks and kits scattered all over your shop and yet still find yourself cruising the web looking for deals on some exotic burl that you've never turned. At least I'm told that can happen...

Michael James
06-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I tend to make mine in a standard pen shape, but do like to flare it out at the tip some for more pen to hang onto, esp the slimlines. Nice job!

Dave Wagner
06-25-2010, 6:05 AM
Yes, thanks!!.
I am just getting used to it, and what works the best, Yes, the Lighter oak ones are the last ones I did with just plain contours, seem to work the best so far.

You're right, already searching for blanks and looking at scrap wood in the garage.....hahaha. It is addicting....

Montgomery Scott
06-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Those are some interesting profiles, however, if they aren't comfortable in the fingers they won't get used. Combining aethetics and ergonomics should determine your pen design.

Once you get comfortable making pens you should graduate to buying better quality pens. I'm guessing those are either 10k or 22k gold plated kits. The plating, particularly on the 22k kits, won't last long and they will look like crap after a few months of regular use.

I'm also curious what wood you are referring to when you say rosewood. I'm guessing it's not Brazilian rosewood by the look of them.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Dave - very nice variety of pens! Definitely some interesting forms! Really like the curly Oak ones - partly because of the simple curves but mostly because of the great looking wood!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Dave Wagner
07-22-2010, 9:18 PM
a few more, starting to get the hang of it.

I think Zebra wood and Cherry?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=363&pictureid=3699

african blackwood?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=363&pictureid=3703

Thanks. more to come.

David E Keller
07-22-2010, 9:50 PM
Nicely done. I love the look of the bocote.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Nice first pens!

Keep in mind, a tablesaw is an excellent place to store pen blanks, pen kits, etc.!:eek:

Allen Neighbors
07-22-2010, 10:33 PM
You're right, already searching for blanks and looking at scrap wood in the garage.....hahaha. It is addicting....

Muuhahahaha!!..... and another one bites the dust!!! The hungry Vortex is sated - momentarily... and yet, we must look for more!! :D

Seriously, I, too, like the Oak pens the most. I found out that sometimes beads under the clip make it difficult to use the clip...
Keep at it... you'll keep falling, deeper and deeper into the addiction....:)

James Combs
07-22-2010, 10:38 PM
a few more, starting to get the hang of it.

I think Zebra wood and Cherry?

african blackwood?

Thanks. more to come.

A few more of these and you might as well forget turning back from the vortex, actually I'm afraid it's already too late for you. And there are no WTA's around that I'm aware of. (Wood Turners Anonymous) Not even any P(en)TAs around either.

Nice Pens BTW:)

Karl Card
07-23-2010, 2:44 AM
I know I still have that problem of not having enough wood....

I sincerely have enough pen blanks, not including the bulk or board wood, to make around 1500 to 2000 pens.... and I still look for more... there is alwasy something different... That is not including my corian counter top either though....

you all might want to watch your corian counters.... they could easily come up missing...

Dave Wagner
07-23-2010, 6:53 AM
Thanks! Yup, you guys are right, it is addicting....the vortex has bitten hard....!! There are more, just haven't gotten the pics up.

I added a few more pics in my gallery of what else I have been working on besides the pens. The house is coming along slow, it's been too hot to work stripping paint and working outside...so I hide in the basement where's it cool!

Roland Martin
07-23-2010, 8:03 AM
Start saving every penney you can, I can see a mustard color in my crystal ball:eek:!! I'm afraid the Victorian renovation will last much longer than you had planned, you just won't have time or money to continue!
Run Forest, Run:D

All are very nice pens, but I too prefer the simpler ones. Welcome to the vortex. "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"

Alan Trout
07-23-2010, 9:26 AM
Yep, this is how it starts, and then at some point all other tools that will not help with turning get pushed aside or sold for more lathe tooling. :)

Alan

Dave Wagner
10-31-2010, 3:28 PM
Getting the hang of it.
Some more pens for a friend, mostly Bocoti and a Sandlewood and a few little goblets, candle holders, or whatever.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=363&pictureid=4101

Red Heart (2) and Ash.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=363&pictureid=4102

Thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2010, 3:34 PM
Dave....great pens and now you are turning "mini's".....Fantastic!