PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw power and...

Jared Porter
06-24-2010, 8:25 PM
I'm considering this 14" Walker Turner band saw on CL. The buyer is asking $200. Is 1/2 hp adequate for home workshop demands? I know nothing about band saws. After looking around on the net, I noticed that about the lowest hp you see in new 14" band saws is 3/4.

Any thoughts on what else to consider about this saw would also be appreciated.

Chip Lindley
06-24-2010, 8:55 PM
Jared, I would snatch that baby up even if it had no motor for $200. W-T's are fine old cast iron machines! It looks to be in pretty good shape too! You can always ramp up to a 1hp motor later. For general bandsawing, except the widest resawing, 1/2hp works pretty darn good! Good blades make the difference.

Russ Buddle
06-24-2010, 10:09 PM
The vintage horses were stronger than the modern horses.

Josiah Bartlett
06-25-2010, 1:17 AM
I have a 16" Walker Turner that I love, with a 2 hp repulsion/induction motor on it that weighs almost as much as the saw, and its more power than the saw really needs. I think 1/2 hp is a little light, though, if you are going to be doing much resawing. That's a good price, though, and its easy to upgrade the motor. A woodslicer blade works really well on my saw.

Van Huskey
06-25-2010, 1:52 AM
1st buy that thing! Excellent saw.

Second, use it and see what you think about the power. My idea is a 1hp per 6" of resaw or more BUT that is conservative. I would start looking for a 1 or 1 1/2 hp motor and pick a good one up when I got a deal. 3/4hp isn't too bad but 1/2 will limit your use of the saw over time BUT I would still buy it for that price!

Brian Kincaid
06-25-2010, 10:17 AM

I think they used to spec the motors a little differently than they do now. That said I agree that you should already be on your way to pick up this saw.

-Brian

Frank Drew
06-25-2010, 11:16 AM

Must have been; my 1940s era 18" Oliver had a 1/2 h.p. induction motor and lack of power was never an issue.

jared herbert
06-25-2010, 11:33 AM
I have a walker turner table saw and it is a good machine. I bought it knowing I would have to replace the motor on it as it was 3 phase. I also have an ancient delta 14 in bandsaw with a motor on it that says 1/2 hp. It is a large heavy motor. Lack of power is not a problem with it as long as I dont try to do something stupid with it. It appears to me, as is mentioned above, that those old motors put out a lot more hp than newer ones that are rated higher. I have been looking for another bandsaw and would buy this one in a minute if it was close to me. good luck Jared

John McClanahan
06-25-2010, 10:08 PM
I think new motors are rated using smaller horses.:cool:

John

David Colafranceschi
06-25-2010, 10:28 PM
How can you not buy that? Get off the net and go pick it up. That is a fantastic saw.