PDA

View Full Version : Casting for pens

Donny Lawson
06-24-2010, 4:55 PM
I would like to learn how to make my own castings or molds for pens. Can someone point me in the right direction and let me know where to start.I need a list of materials and know where to get this stuff. I've seen money pen castings and others with just a cool design in it.Is this hard to do or expensive?
Donny

Tim Rinehart
06-24-2010, 5:00 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=141735&highlight=feather+pens

There are some great step by step methods the guy shows on his website, Shane Whitlock. I think the key for him, is getting all the bubbles out using his vacuum chamber. Otherwise, I suspect process may lose some control.

Worth a try though, without the vacuum chamber.

David E Keller
06-24-2010, 5:12 PM
You might also check out the IAP website... There are several articles in the library there about casting.

brian watts
06-24-2010, 5:56 PM
that wouldneat to do for sure.. penn st. has a kit you can buy to cast the pen. i though about getting it and try .

Joe Ruden
06-24-2010, 8:19 PM
I make a lot of my own blanks out of a polyester resin called silmar 41 that I buy by the gallon online. It comes with the catalyst. Colors come from either pearlX or mica powders. I use PVC for my molds and they are already round. Most of the info came from the IAP. I also use pvc for pendant blanks and bottle stopper blanks. Everything starts out round.

Bernie Weishapl
06-24-2010, 9:36 PM
David beat me to it. IAP has a lot of info on doing just that.

Donny Lawson
06-24-2010, 10:19 PM
For some reason I've always had trouble signing in on IAP.Then when I finally get signed in I cannot post anything.I may try it one more time.
Donny

David E Keller
06-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Not sure, but I don't think you need to sign on to view the library.