PDA

View Full Version : Plane PVC planks with planer?

Kerry Adams
06-24-2010, 4:54 PM
Good Afternoon,

Is this possible?

Thanks
Kerry

Russ Buddle
06-24-2010, 5:13 PM
I guess it is possible, but the static cling on the shavings will be a mess.:D

Matt Meiser
06-24-2010, 6:11 PM
I don't see why not either. It can be sawn and routed with regular woodworking tools. If you have a lot to remove it might be worth resawing to minimize the mess, but like Russ said, its gonna be messy!

Chris Tsutsui
06-24-2010, 6:23 PM
I've cut PVC imitation wood with my table saw using a regular carbide blade and it cut quite easy and cleanly.

White specks and shavings... No melting issues, no binding, etc.

Jason White
06-24-2010, 6:31 PM
I've run PVC through my lunchbox planer without any problems. Be sure to hook up a good dust collector, though!

Good Afternoon, Is this possible? Thanks Kerry

Roger Newby
06-24-2010, 7:29 PM
A few pieces should be OK but be advised that the PVC is filled with calcium carbonate (marble dust) and titanium dioxide (makes it white) and will dull you planer blades more so than regular wood will. As everyone else said...very very messy too. Also, if you compost you planer chips, the PVC won't decompose for several generations :eek: and if you burn your chips, the PVC will not burn but generate hydrogen chloride which combines with moisture in the air to make hydrochloric acid :eek::eek: which, when inhaled, can really mess up your day.....or your life.

mickey cassiba
06-24-2010, 7:59 PM
Be careful if you power sand! We experimented with one type, it cut and planed well, but when it went through the wide belt machine, disaster! I'm still picking chunks out of the ductwork.
Mick

JohnT Fitzgerald
06-25-2010, 9:51 AM
Good Afternoon,

Is this possible?

Thanks
Kerry

I've run both Kleer and Azek (cellular PVC) through my planer to knock thhem down just a smidge. I've found that they are not all quite the same thickness, which can be frustrating.

It planed OK. I have a feeling it really did a number on my planer blades, but I didn't do a lot of material so I really do not know. +1 on the dust collector suggestion.

Van Huskey
06-26-2010, 1:25 AM
I have jointed a couple of pieces with no issues, but YMMV planing.