PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Legend 24 EX Y-axis motor

andrew zen
06-24-2010, 4:48 PM
Hi:

We are rebuilding the Legend 24EX that had a flash fire. Anything rubber or plastic melted to a various degree. The Y-Axis motor in the back of the machine is a DC Brushless motor which has a gear that has a belt which turns a shaft which has gears on either side manipulating the I-Bean using two belts.

The fire melted the wire casings to the motor. When I pulled out the motor to re-epoxy the magnets to the casing (they epoxy melted in the fire) I noticed a rotary encoder for this motor. Anyone know what kind of motor this is (for future reference) because I can't read it from the melted tag on the casing. Also, is the rotary encoder needed? As the Y axis has linear encoders on the slider and bearing. I can't se if the wire connected to the melted e rotary encoer goes anywhere. We got the motor to work after cleaning and rebuilding; or did we :)

Thanks, I have pictures which show the restoration of this machine. Is that interesting to anyone?

Michael Hunter
06-24-2010, 5:14 PM
I'm pretty sure that the encoder on the Y-motor is not connected to anything - I will check tomorrow on my 32EX.

Mike Null
06-25-2010, 6:31 AM
Andrew

Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

SMC is monitored by Epilog (Peck Sidara) who will probably weigh in on this matter but their telephone support is free even if you are not the original owner or the machine is out of warranty. I would contact them before doing anything on your own.

Michael Hunter
06-25-2010, 8:44 AM
Was wrong - the encoder is connected to the loom.
The label on the motor gives the following details -

NIDEC MINERTIA MOTOR F SERIES
UGFMED-C9 SEPT 11
2V5451-1
NIDEC POWER MOTOR CORPORATION

andrew zen
06-25-2010, 7:42 PM
Thanks, I had an issue ith Epliog in that they wanted me to order something before they helped. Now that I ordered some things they were able to tell me that the encoder is not connected on the Y motor for the 24EX. Which is great because mine is melted.

They did want to sell me a new I-Beam and a new motor while I was at it. :)
I don't blame them, they were very helpful, and it is good to have pictures that have been reduced.

Thanks for the motor number, I will probably collect a replacement in case this one is not doing so well with the rebuild I did.

John Noell
06-25-2010, 9:33 PM
...I had an issue with Epliog in that they wanted me to order something before they helped They refused to offer support unless you purchased something?!?!? That's new.

andrew zen
06-26-2010, 5:36 PM
Yea, I was exchanging a lot of emails trying to get part numbers and prices because I was trying to figure out what the damages were and how much to budget restoration. As you know there aren't any "part list" or component diagrams with Epilog products so you have to call and explain the part and then they give a part number and price. Of course, they will recommend a whole lot of parts to replace like a car dealership, but that, maybe. what is needed in the long run. If you can afford $30K for a laser, money might not be an issue.

I have been in manufacturing for many years and all the equipment that we used had a parts breakdown. Even embrodery machines have them. But Epilog doesn't. This surprised me and at first I thought they were protecting their service revenue stream. But now I think they just don't emphasize documentation There aren't service manuals or calibration manuals that I know of.

Very strange policy, but I think I understand their system now and they are very friendly once they deem you a paying customer.

I am not trying to flame them, I am just trying to understand them so I can keep this laser working well. I then realized that most of their users are not motor and rail/bearing savvy. Epilog does promote how easy their machines are to operate and maybe my requests have been more low level than most.

So - now I know.

Mike Null
06-26-2010, 9:18 PM
Andrew

Where are you located? We are accustomed to hearing very good things about Epilog tech support and service.

Peck Sidara
06-28-2010, 6:43 PM
Andrew,

I would like to apologize on behalf of Epilog Laser should your experiences with our technical support group has been anything less than acceptable.

We have always and will continue to help any Epilog customer. Whether the machine is 15 years old, was purchased pre-owned, handed down, whatever.

I am 100% certain that our tech support does not require the purchase of parts or will only help with the expectation that you buy parts from us. If this was the impression you received, then it was wrong for the technician to lead you down that road.

As for the y-motor on the Legend EX systems, these do have a built in rotary encoder but it is not used. We utilized both a x & y axis linear encoder on the EX model.

Looking at the pictures submitted, the machine appears to be in poor shape. There's no guarantee that our tech support group will be able to full diagnose all the possible electrical & mechanical failures remotely...but we'll do our best. Some of their recommendations (including the purchase of complete assemblies or possibly returning the machine back to the factory for proper repair) may not be logical to you or fit within your budget but trust that they know what they're doing.

I recommend giving our tech support another shot & feel free to PM or email me if I can be of any assistance.