PDA

View Full Version : scroll chuck question

Kevin Lucas
06-24-2010, 2:09 PM
Hi folks,

I'm really new to turning and have went at it the cheapest route I can. I got a 14 X 40 Harbor freight lathe and its great for spindle work. Now the bad part its a 3/4 10 tpi screw at the head stock and not a morse taper so I need an adapter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-inch-x-40-inch-lathe-with-6-inch-sander-45276.html

I have found 2 adapters that will make it an 1 x 8 tpi. One is at a local turning shop and has a flat base and thread. The other is a
http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LA341018-Headstock-Spindle/dp/B000KI8CBQ/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1276907088&sr=1-24

This is all leading up to jaws I swear! If I put an adapter on the headstock I can put a scroll chuck the bowl bug has bitten me I guess. I can't afford oneway etc jaws but these look about right.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020042/18872/1-x-8-TPI-Self-Centering-4-Jaw-Chuck.aspx

The question is are they a good deal and will I get some good use out of them?

Tim Rinehart
06-24-2010, 2:22 PM
Yep, there goes another one down the spiral.

Hey, welcome. You'll get alot of advice, so take it all with grain of salt.

Your approach looks sound, and to keep $$ outlay minimized for now (won't last long...chuckle chuckle :p:p) you could do just what you're proposing.

Here's another optional chuck, also by Woodcraft, but on special. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005185/6558/NOVA-1-x-8-TPI-Midi-Chuck.aspx

Read and see what people think about the chucks like these that use two rods to tighten, vs a chuck key arrangement (think extra large drill chuck key).

Nova G3 falls in that category, and would be a step up from what you're looking at.

Too bad the chuck mfrs I perused quickly don't have adapter for 3/4-10...just 3/4-16. Hmmm.

Have fun!

Kevin Lucas
06-24-2010, 3:31 PM
Thanks Tim! That Nova looks like its a better deal since you can add jaws easily. On the other I'm not so sure but figure its sort of standard so maybe you could add some? The 3/4 10 had me thrown for a loop its definitely an odd size. That G3 looks nice too but SWMBO set 100$ budget so I'm working around it. (reads garden and yard for at least a month) I will definitely consider that one if its in stock there. Thanks again )

Tom Giacomo
06-25-2010, 12:30 AM
I also started out with a HF lathe, however the lathe you have it's lowest speed is over 1100 RPM that is very fast for bowl turning.

Brian Greb
06-25-2010, 12:58 AM
If you get the SN2 teknatool has an adapter for your lathe. But that doesn't solve your speed issue... 1100 is way too fast for bowl rough out. You need closer to 300~600 rpm.

John Keeton
06-25-2010, 7:23 AM
Kevin, you are not going to like this answer, but it is in your best interest all around.

If you want to stay cheap (inexpensive), sell the 14" lathe, and go back to HF and buy the 34706 12" lathe. With a coupon, and on sale, you can usually buy it for around $185. Based on my experience, and dozens of reviews, it is the only decent lathe sold by HF.

It is a little smaller, but a much superior piece of machinery. In addition, it has an 1x8tpi thread on the headstock and a low end speed of around 5-600 - maybe better if you can do the detent speed alteration trick on it. Still not 2-300, but way better than what you have.

Honestly, you will spend the difference quickly on adapters and accessories that will never fit another lathe.

Just my thoughts.

One other thought - Sean Ackerman with ToolNut did have a special on the G3. I don't know if he still does, but it would be worth contacting him. At one time, it was around $90, but that is a super price. Even at $119 at Amazon right now, it is a better buy than the Woodcraft chuck - considering quality.

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2010, 8:21 AM
Kevin I have to agree with John and the others. 1100 rpm for roughing out a bowl is way to fast and dangerous in my book. As John said if you could sell your lathe and get the 34706 or find a good used lathe on Craigs list. I also agree with what John said by the time you get done buying adapters, etc to make things fit your lathe you will have enough to buy the other lathe.

Michael Mills
06-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Just my opinion but…
I have one of the Woodcraft chucks (Pinnacle, Woodriver, etc) and found it to be "usable".
It has no stops for the jaws so they will fall out if adjusted out too far. The jaws and body are poorly stamped (#’s) and I finally took my dremel and remarked them.
In general it had poor machining but maybe I just got a bad one.
It uses tommy bars, not bad, but not as easy as the chuck key.
Are you going to have to buy the chuck, and insert, pay sales tax, and pay shipping?
I also have a Nova G3 and SN2.
If you do a search on ebay for "g3 chuck" someone has them for $115 for everything.
I did look at the Nova website and they make an insert for ¾ X 10. The G3 on ebay comes with the insert also.
If you go to the Teknatool Nova website you will also see a warning to not use off brand inserts with their chucks. There have been a lot of post complaining of runout and other problems by people who bought a Nova chuck and then went cheap with the insert. I understand Woodcraft (and others) are now ask to not sell these generic inserts to go with Nova chucks.
Unless you are getting free shipping, the "cheap" chuck may well cost you more.
With the Nova you can use it with any lathe you may get in the future by changing the insert.

I am not familiar with your lathe, can you change the pulleys to get the speed down some?

Mike

Kyle Iwamoto
06-25-2010, 12:03 PM
+1 on searching e-bay for the G3. I got mine from them, it comes with adapter of choice, so that'a a few dollars saved. Oh, that also includes shipping.

IF you're thinking of upgrading that lathe, IMO you may want to bite the bullet from you significant other and get the new Delta Midi. Some humble guy who has posted on this thread has one, and makes VERY nice stuff, it may be sufficient for your needs for a very long time. My main lathe is a Jet mini, which is fine, but at 10", a tad small. If that Delta were available when I got my Jet, I would have bought it. My "big" lathe is a Shopsmith, and 700 RPM is way fast for roughing a bowl bigger than 10". I can't imagine flipping that ON switch at 1100.....:eek:

Kevin Lucas
06-25-2010, 6:18 PM
Yes I know its far from an ideal lathe. I did do some research and a lot of craigslist hunting. Most that I found were along the same lines of this one, long beds and fixed head stocks etc... Maybe I can find a set of pulleys that will lower it some. I will definitely upgrade some where down the line but for now I have to work around it. Time to make some display boxes for cash I guess budgeting sucks )

William Hutchinson
06-25-2010, 9:51 PM
Kevin,
Where are you located? If you're close to the eastern side of TN, I'll make you a good (i.e. the space is more valuable than the tool) deal on a 34706.

Kevin Lucas
06-26-2010, 4:17 PM
The more I re-read the advice here and a lot of head scratching I decided that buying the parts would be a bad idea. (no trip to Woodcraft and that's such a fun guy candy store hehe) I have been reading the forums for a long time and a few posts here and there and the opinions and advice have always been helpful. So I am going to weigh my options and work from there. A big thanks to all for your help!

John Keeton
06-26-2010, 4:36 PM
Kevin, wise move! If you are anywhere close to William, the 34706 would serve you well as a step in the right direction IMO.

Roger Chandler
06-26-2010, 5:22 PM
Kevin, wise move! If you are anywhere close to William, the 34706 would serve you well as a step in the right direction IMO.

John,

You certainly have steered Kevin in a wise and more prudent direction for the long haul. I only hope he takes sound counsel!