PDA

View Full Version : Working with redwood

Steven Shelby
06-24-2010, 11:28 AM
It's been ages since I have been to the creek. I honestly cannot remember the last time I posted here. Unfortunately it's been a bumpy year or so and life has forced itself between me and woodworking.

But I am back in the shop and currently working on a camping sign using a beautiful piece of redwood burl that I have had for years. I have never worked with redwood and was hoping for some guidance.

I plan on routing the edges as well as using a router in the carving process. This workpiece is very dry and I ran intosome chipping on the edges when running it through the thickness planer. So I am obviously concerned about it chipping when routing.

My questions are: A) Should I be concerned? And B) If so, do you have any suggestions and tips on how to work with redwood without chipping.

Thank you all, in advance, for your input!

Philip Rodriquez
06-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Get it really wet and use sharp tools. Easy as pie!

Steven Shelby
06-24-2010, 3:35 PM
Thanks, Phillip. Clarify "wet". Are we talking spray bottle
wet? Garden hose wet? Or soak overnight wet?

Philip Rodriquez
06-24-2010, 4:40 PM
Spray it down with water, rub it down, and let the wood pull in the water.

Burls are really hard to work with... and redwood is really soft. If the water trick still gives you problems, you will need to change over to a thickness sander.

Good luck!

David Winer
06-24-2010, 5:33 PM
[QUOTE=Steven Shelby;I have never worked with redwood and was hoping for some guidance.
[/QUOTE]
Flat sawn surfaces and especially edges are apt to give you nasty splinters, particularly while sanding by hand. Use care while handling redwood boards--i.e., don't run your hands along them.

Voice of experience.