PDA

View Full Version : Help with wood choice for kitchen

Jason Thaxton
11-30-2004, 3:51 PM
I am going to redue my mothers kitchen and she is having a problem choosing a wood even talked about paint with a glaze. They have natural oak hardwood floors with alot of custom trim work done out of pine that is stained a darker walnut color. My father did all the trim work so changing that is out of the question there isn't any of the dark trim in the kitchen but you can see it from the living room and kitchen. They have quite a few antiques with all kinds of wood from mahogany to maple cherry oak that can all be seen from the kitchen. Ive thought about contrasting woods maybe maple with cherry or walnut pulls and crown. she wants a lighter look with light granite counters. Also what style would you choose They have everything from shaker to victorian furniture in there house. She really doesn't stick with a style she just gets the furniture that she likes. I would love to here your opinions.

Christopher Pine
11-30-2004, 3:56 PM
If I had it to do over again I would definately go th a cherry kitchen! But thats just me! I love the look of cherry cabinets. I have red oak cabinets and they are allright but I would od cherry if I could do it over.
Chris

Donnie Raines
11-30-2004, 3:56 PM
I am partial to Shaker style items.....but thats just me. It sounds as though the home is a mixture of items...which is more of a country feel(in my eye). I was thinking regular ole' maple with some sort of flat panel. You could contrast the panel's if you wish...but not sure I would. It would be neat to bring in some walnut pulls like you stated....that would be really nice.

I suspect that this is one of those projects that falls into place as you do it.

Ted Shrader
11-30-2004, 3:58 PM
Jason -

Reading your post, Shaker style came to mind. Very simple and elegant and also practical for the kitchen. Flat panels, straight rails and stiles, fairly easy to make.

Would you consider maple as the wood of choice? Since Mom wants the kitchen relatively light, that would fit the bill. As you suggested, contrasting wood pulls and trim could finish it out.

Good luck in the decision!

Ted

John Weber
11-30-2004, 4:23 PM
Jason,

I vote for cherry first, maple second. We did our kitchen in cherry with a light stain (cabinets look a little darker in the pic), I wanted natural and my wife wanted a darker cherry, but now we are both very happy with our choice. We used brass hardware, the main counters and backsplash are white tile, the floors are a cream rose (I guess), and the walls have a very light rose tint. With almost 46 sq ft of windows it is light and bright, and the ceiling cans pick that up at night. I think cherry goes with most all woods so it would be perfect for your Mom's house. Natural maple would work as well, and I love maple, but I don't think it has enough grain and visual interest for kitchen cabinets.

John

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/kitchen/kitchen1.jpg

Chris Padilla
11-30-2004, 5:09 PM
Cherry is great but will darken over time so keep that in mind for the design.

Maple is also wonderful as it can be found in a creamy white.

That said, we have a whitewashed white oak for our cabinets. They are nearing 12 years old, however, and the finish is coming off so I have some work in front of me there.

Whatever you get, be sure the finish is durable and can be scrubbed. It is amazing what gets on the cabinets over time and remember that water and wood don't mix well. We have the same oak as a backsplash and it was a big, big mistake. We bought the house 5 years ago and the kitchen had been remodeled 7 years before that with all the oak. Never use wood as a backsplash...never! :)

Michael Ballent
11-30-2004, 5:26 PM
I have always been partial to SALE WOOD :D

Steve Jenkins
11-30-2004, 5:57 PM
When I redid my kitchen I did sort of a shaker style in that all the rails and stiles are straight and used flat panels (1/4"ply). I used select white maple for the rails and stiles and center matched figured white maple for the panels so all the uppers matched and all the lowers matched. I departed from the style in that I mitered all my doors. It looks really nice with natural red oak floors and a cherry breakfast table that I built.
I probably shouldn't even post this since I don't have any pics. I promise I'll take some soon.
If the kitchen is small I think a light wood helps keep it from feeling smaller.

Rob Russell
11-30-2004, 6:07 PM
What about a natural or lightly oiled oak? Use rift sawn for the rails and stiles, quartersawn for the panels. Let the contrasting grain between the straight-lined rails/stiles and the ray fleck of the panels provide some interest.

That's what I'm planning for our kitchen. One of these years.

Finish with a sprayed conversion varnish - hard and durable.

Rob

Ron Jones near Indy
11-30-2004, 6:10 PM
LOML really likes her hickory cabinets. :D

Dan Mages
11-30-2004, 8:01 PM
Good luck with the kitchen project. If you are looking to paint with a glaze, I would reccomend either poplar or maple.

Dan