PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for leftovers

Tom Hammond
06-24-2010, 6:55 AM
After about a year of making all kinds o' stuff... I have a pretty significant pile (couple of drums full) of pieces of oak and poplar, among other things. 1-by material in various small widths, 1-4 feet long, and a lot of small dimension pieces down to 1/4" square are in great supply. So... what do I do with all of this stuff? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Will Overton
06-24-2010, 7:01 AM
From Wood magazine;

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/Bill_de/JewelBoxes.jpg?t=1277377249

Rich Engelhardt
06-24-2010, 7:19 AM
Most of this is made of scraps...

I had a problem area - the big metal plate.
I couldn't remove the plate since it's the place all the phone lines tie together.

Except for the 1/2" plywood for the door and the backing & the door pull the rest of the rack/cabinet is made up of scrap pieces of flooring & some leftover pieces of Oak & a couple of borg Euro-hinges...

I should also add here that this was made "on site" using my second line of tools, the Ryobi router table, Hitachi job-site saw and Ryobi CMS.
Using the "better stuff" in my garage workshop would no doubt have produced something better.
But - it's in a rental so - it's good enough I guess.

Alex Leslie
06-24-2010, 8:53 AM
You can package up boxes of the scraps and sell them on eBay. There is always someone with more ideas than I have there. :eek:

Dave Gaul
06-24-2010, 9:18 AM
You can package up boxes of the scraps and sell them on eBay. There is always someone with more ideas than I have there. :eek:

That is a great idea!! Maybe even post here in classifieds? Maybe some turners would like smaller pieces...

Last weekend, we bought a fire pit... emptied my scrap bin about half way in no time!!

Scott T Smith
06-24-2010, 9:24 AM
I use my oak and pecan scraps directly in my BBQ grill, or sometimes make charcoal out of them for later grilling.

There's nothing like the taste of a good steak cooked over wood!

John Mark Lane
06-24-2010, 9:40 AM
I have recently taken my scraps to the local elementary school and dropped them with teachers in the lower grades. I'll take a little time on a Saturday and cut them into random sizes and shapes, all less than a foot or so. Then I hit each one with the ROS to knock off splinters and round edges. Then put them in boxes and drop them. It has been very much appreciated by the teachers. I am told the shop teacher from the local high school used to do this. But they killed the shop program, so he's no longer there.

Just a thought.

Mark

scott vroom
06-24-2010, 12:09 PM
It makes great kindling