PDA

View Full Version : Bike Help...Looking for a nice touring bike

John Coloccia
06-24-2010, 6:37 AM
Does anyone still make a decent touring bike? I currently use a Scott Speedster S60. It's nice but it's built a bit too light for any real touring. It seems like everyone makes road bikes, triathalon bikes, hybrids, "urban" (whatever that means) and mountain bikes, but touring bikes are suspiciously missing.

Mike Cutler
06-24-2010, 7:28 AM
John

You would have to define touring bike?
Generally, a bike designed around touring has a more relaxed geometry which is most specifically effected by the rake and cast of the front fork. The steering tube has an effect, but it can be countered by selecting a different fork. In a strict touring bike you are looking for a longer fork rake, and a longer overall wheelbase for stability.
The actual frame geomtry of a Tour d'France bike and a crit bike is very close 72-74 degrees of seat tube angle. There are seat tube angle reg's for bikes used in mass start races that adhere to UCI rules. (A touring bike will "generally" have a realxed 72 Degree angle). Sometimes the top tube length will be shortened to "change the rider geomtry" but maintain a UCI legal position. All bike with sloping top tubes have a theoretical top tube length and effective seat tube length based on a classic double diamond frame. Ergo the actual frame geometry is very similar.

A touring bike is also designed to have a triple Crankset upfront, with high capacity derialleurs front and rear.

The other difference is that a Touring Bike has screw bosses welded on the front forks and rear dropouts to mount panniers and rear racks. It also has extra water bottle bosses installed to carry more water. Additionally the brakes for a touring bike are "beefier", than a racing bike because of the amount of weight they have to stop.

In a nutshell, a strict touring bike has very limited sales potential off the floor. Most are built to customer spec's by shops by sourcing the frame and components and building it. While this may sound like an expensive proposition, it doesn't have to be.
The big dollar components/wheels cost big bucks because of the weight savings and close tolerances. They sacrifice long term reliability for short term precision. What this means is that you don't need all the high dollar, hi zoot components. You are looking for function and reliability first, especially in the wheels.
Any decent bike shop should be able to build you a touring bike. Spend your money on frame first, then wheels. ( Of course this is true for all bikes, no matter the function)

PS.
If you really want to go for it though, Independent Fabrication is in Worcester Mass and make incredibly nice custom steel frames. Of course LiteSpeed is in Mass also, if you want to go the Titanium route. Stay away from aluminum for a touring bike. The ride can be harsh.

John Coloccia
06-24-2010, 8:50 AM
John

You would have to define touring bike?

Generally what I'm looking for is a relaxed geometry, a longer wheel base (for stability and so my feet don't kick the paniers on the way up), a steel frame, mounting points for accessories, etc. Basically, everything you mentioned. It would also be nice if the steering tube came a bit higher so I don't have to stick a goofy looking stem on it to get a bit more upright. It should also generally have simple, reliable components. For example, it should have simple shift levers - nothing to break, nothing to adjust.

My S60 is nice, but the aluminum frame is a bit stiff for long term comfort (althought the carbon fork really helps). The geometry is generally OK but a bit quicker than I'd like for a nice, relaxing, take in the scenery kind of ride. It does have a triple crankset though it's not really optimized for touring (that's easy enough to fix, though).

I'm vaguely considering a Trek 520, but that seems to be the only off the shelf bike that I'd consider a "touring" bike. Maybe having one built really is the best way to do it.

Mike Cutler
06-24-2010, 9:17 AM
John

I don't know where you're at in Ct, but if you're close to New Haven you could drop in to Zane's in Branford, and see what they can make up for you.
I know of two other shops I'd trust, but they're in eastern CT.
I've never had a bike built for me. I always built them myself. I'm really super picky about brakes, and I alway figured that if I face planted I wanted it to be my fault.
If you really want to see some eye candy, Belmont Wheel Works in Boston is the place. They can build anything from a single speed city tank, to a replacement bike for a Tour rider with the available inventory in the store.

Graham Wintersgill
06-24-2010, 9:30 AM
But it has been round the world and from Alaska to Chile

http://www.koga.com/us/bike.asp?collectionid=8&segmentid=63&id=413916&Geometry=1

mike holden
06-24-2010, 9:31 AM
John,
For touring, I can recommend Rivendell bikes. www dot rivbike dot com
For further research, check out "Bicycle Times" magazine. It is devoted to commuting and touring bicycles, a refreshing read after the race heavy emphasis of other magazines.
Mike

Mike Cutler
06-24-2010, 11:56 AM
John,
For touring, I can recommend Rivendell bikes. www dot rivbike dot com
For further research, check out "Bicycle Times" magazine. It is devoted to commuting and touring bicycles, a refreshing read after the race heavy emphasis of other magazines.
Mike

Mike

That's good advice.
A lot of my friends have reached the age where the kids are gone now and they need to get in shape.
They come to me and ask me about biking and bikes because of my racing years and are kind of stunned when I tell them that I don't know if I can help them. For me it was a case of point A to B and make the other guy suffer more than me. I'm just not wired to enjoy the ride.
I tell them throw the heart rate monitor and bike computer in a box and just enjoy the ride.

John Coloccia
06-24-2010, 12:28 PM
John

I don't know where you're at in Ct, but if you're close to New Haven you could drop in to Zane's in Branford, and see what they can make up for you.
I know of two other shops I'd trust, but they're in eastern CT.
I've never had a bike built for me. I always built them myself. I'm really super picky about brakes, and I alway figured that if I face planted I wanted it to be my fault.
If you really want to see some eye candy, Belmont Wheel Works in Boston is the place. They can build anything from a single speed city tank, to a replacement bike for a Tour rider with the available inventory in the store.

First, thanks everyone for the help.

I'm just a little bit east of Hartford, so I guess that puts me in eastern Connecticut :)

John Schreiber
06-24-2010, 12:33 PM
I've heard good things about the Surly Long Haul Trucker <http://www.surlybikes.com/frames/long_haul_trucker_frame/>. It can be ordered by any bike shop in the USA. Thorn of England also makes some fine tourers.

Designing a frame which works fully loaded and also works when lightly loaded is a big challenge. I think there's a lot to be said for steel on a touring frame. It can be fixed in any small town in a pinch. I don't like the trend toward touring on mt bike frames with suspension & upright bars at all, but I come from the old school. Play around with weight distribution before you get started. I've heard that the best way to go is most of the mass in low-rider front panniers, with the rest in regular height rear panniers and only what you need for on-the-bike in a front bag. Some kind of a comfortable, but low aero-bar makes a nice change when you need to fight a head wind all day.

I toured thousands of miles on a racing bike with everything piled onto a rear rack and a handle bar bag, and a low gear of 42x28, so I know that great times can be had with poor equipment. But I dreamed of a real touring set up.

Greg Portland
06-24-2010, 2:22 PM
I own a Surly Long Haul Trucker (used for touring and commuting) after having compared it to the following touring bikes:

- REI Novarra (Didn't fit me that well, YMMV)
- Trek 520 (didn't like the heel clearance or price for what you get; you might be able to find a 1980's era used frame and build your own fairly cheaply)
- Rivendell (excellent but pricey)
- Cannondale Touring 1 (& 2) (didn't like the aluminum frame for remote touring)
- Kona Sutra (local dealer issues)
- Jamis Aurora (front pannier clearance issues for me)
- Bruce Gordon BLT or Rock N' Road (excellent but pricey)

The Long Haul Trucker comes with good components in the areas that matter (wheels, etc.). It has tons of braze-ons for racks and bottle cages. I did the following upgrades / additions for loaded touring:

- racks (BRING YOUR PANNIER and make sure it works on the rack!)
- Panniers (I use Arkel, lots of people like Ortlieb)
- pedals (Time ATAC MTB pedals)
- saddle (Brooks)
- fenders (planet bike)

My only other advice would be to price out the entire bike (fenders, racks, etc.). Some bikes come with racks, a good saddle, fenders, dynohub for lights, etc. while others do not. bikeforms dot net has a great touring forum that can provide further details & options.

John Coloccia
06-24-2010, 8:17 PM
I think I'm starting to narrow it down to the LHT vs the 520. The LHT just seems like a better bike. Better gearing right off the bat, if nothing else. Longer chainstays too. What may push it over the top is the 2010 520s are completely sold out in my size, and the '11 will not be around until August.

*BEGIN RANT*

Unfortunately, my local bike shops are just absolutely useless. I ask for advice and all I get are sales. I've bought three bikes between two shops in the last year, not to mention tons of accessories and other items. You'd think they could take a few minutes to give me some thoughtful comments, or SOMETHING, considering we buy 2 bikes at a time (I forgot to mentions...purchasing for my wife too...we just bought 2 hybrids last month as well so this would make 4 bikes in 2 months). I'd settle for something other than a sales pitch...maybe just some recommendations and advice like I've gotten here. I realize I'm not going in and buying a $5000 carbon fiber bike but couldn't they at least make even a tiny effort?

So this may REALLY push me over the top. When I want this I'll just go to REI. I'll get the same (or better) service and an unbeatable return policy. 3 out of 3 bike local shops basically just blow me off because I don't ride up in Spandex on a triathlon bike. Meh.

REI carries the LHT :D

*END RANT*

I feel better now.

Chris Padilla
06-25-2010, 12:12 AM
In my younger days when I did a lot of touring, I had a Raleigh Kodiak. I really loved that bike...had it loaded with panniers all around. Touring bikes really need to be stronger and thus tend to be heavy and I think a set of good wheels will be worth their weight in gold: 36 hole hubs f/r...I like Phil Woods. Brakes, as Mike pointed out, are very important on heavily laden bikes. Balance is also crucial when you are loaded up...never forget that. A front wheel lock/holder is very helpful as well as a kickstand.

John Coloccia
06-26-2010, 9:35 PM
Follow up:

I found a really great bike shop in the area. It's a bit of a drive but it's worth it. He took the time to find me some shoes that fit (I'm a EEE shoe...nearly impossible to fit me for a bike shoe). I had them do a bit of work on our hybrids. Then we talked about touring bikes, and really just couldn't make up our minds between the 520 and the LHT, so we compromised. I took the 520 and my wife took the LHT. :D

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions.

Tom Godley
06-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Back in my no helmet college days I had Trek build me a touring bike -- They did that kind of stuff back then - 1982 - it was basically a modified 720 frame (not the modern 720 hybrid) with personalized components.

I still ride it occasionally - true touring bikes were always relatively rare and expensive. They had a small market.

The LHT is a nice bike - I think you will like it. I use a hybrid most of the time since I no longer do the serious long haul runs I did years ago.

The 720 frames are still around -- I see them occasionally on eBay.

Chris Damm
06-27-2010, 9:17 AM
When I think of touring bike, a Harley Ultra Electraglide Classic comes to mind. Saves a lot of pedaling!

Horton Brasses
06-28-2010, 1:41 PM
If your budget allows both Waterford & Seven make amazing touring bikes. Truly touring, as in riding across the country touring. Now that I realize your local to me, Seven's are actually made in Boston. You can go and see your bike in production. Pig Iron/Cycling Concepts in G-Bury carries them. Not a big fan of that shop though. I find Pedal Power treats all riders well regardless of appearance or budget.

John Coloccia
06-28-2010, 7:59 PM
If your budget allows both Waterford & Seven make amazing touring bikes. Truly touring, as in riding across the country touring. Now that I realize your local to me, Seven's are actually made in Boston. You can go and see your bike in production. Pig Iron/Cycling Concepts in G-Bury carries them. Not a big fan of that shop though. I find Pedal Power treats all riders well regardless of appearance or budget.

Thanks for the info. I ended up settling on a 520 for myself (which I just picked up tonight) and a LHT for my wife (which should be ready Friday). I went to Berlin Cycles for it and found their service top notch, they were knowledgeable and they spent an enormous amount of time with us getting everything just right, down to picking out some shoes (I've never owned bicycle shoes before because I have a EEE wide foot and basically everyone's told me nothing on the planet fits). He found some Lakes for me that should fit the bill.

I also just sold my Scott Speedster today to a friend at work for his daughter. Going from the S60 to my Trek 7.2 and the 520 is like going from an uncomfortable Formula 1 car to a crossover SUV and a Crown Victoria respectively. What a difference! I've decided that "performance" bikes (race bikes, I guess) are NOT for me, and even if they were they definitely have no place on my commute to work.

I'm getting seriously addicted to this, just like when I was a kid. I'm even starting to enjoy climbs. I don't know why, but I look forward to them a little bit. Maybe it's just the change of pace or maybe it's just being able to see my progress week to week as my conditioning improves.

I did look at Waterford, by the way. They were just way too far out of my price range. I really didn't want to go above $1200, especially considering I bought two of them! I'm quite satisfied I did as well as I could in my range but now I have something to drool over when I pretend I hit the lottery, made all the more miraculous by the fact that I've never played :D

John Schreiber
06-28-2010, 10:47 PM
. . . I've never owned bicycle shoes before . . .
That is going to be a big increase in comfort for you. After you've forgotten to un-clip for the 2nd time. :D:D It's bound to happen.

Horton Brasses
06-29-2010, 8:30 AM
I bought my current trail bike at Berlin Bike. I was, and continue to be, happy with them. Still consider Pedal Power my "home" shop though.

Marko Markovich Jr
07-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Check this thread out for a nice tourer, you just might like this

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49445

Mark Elmer
07-08-2010, 2:12 AM
I have a 60 CM Specialize Expedition from back around 1985.

Love it!

Sean Troy
07-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Mongoose makes some nice choices for comfortable distance riding.

Paul Ryan
07-08-2010, 1:12 PM
When I think of touring bike, a Harley Ultra Electraglide Classic comes to mind. Saves a lot of pedaling!

Road Kings are nice too.

I recently started riding a pedal bike of all things. Who the heck but the brakes on the wrong side. I keep grabbing the right brake and expecting it to function and really slow me down. Worst part I have really grabbed the left occasionally thinking I was pulling in the clutch. I need a foot brake on my pedal bike

Karl Brogger
07-08-2010, 10:41 PM

No way.

Honda Goldwing
Yamaha FJ1300
Honda ST1300
BMW K1300GT
:D