PDA

View Full Version : New Home for the JD [gloat & pics]

Karl Laustrup
11-30-2004, 2:38 PM
I'm new at starting my own thread so forgive me if I screw up. I got a tutorial from John M., so if this doesn't work I can blame him.:D :o
Old shed 12x12 has not kept up with toys purchased for JD series 345. Hate having to leave implements outside in the weather, so I decided to build a new shed.
Pic 1 shows old shed in forground and new shed in back. New shed [pic 2] is 16x18 with 10' ceiling achieved by 2' concrete riser off of slab. Don't have to worry about banging implements and damaging walls. It has an opening skylight, two crank out type windows plus a garage door opener. Pic 3 is JD smiling in new home waiting for the first snow. Pic 4. I have gotten the walls insulated and will be drywalling and insulating the ceiling this weekend. The walls will also get drywall and eventually next spring a texture and paint. Pic 5 is just the JD with the #3 decal.
I will try to send more pics when the drywall has been finished.
Oh, and I also intend to put racks up to store my lumber which will free up 3 walls in the garage/workshop.
Thanks to John Miliunas for his help in getting this posted.
Karl

Ted Shrader
11-30-2004, 4:04 PM
Karl -

Looks like you did everything right. Great work on the new shed/wood storage area. The JD looks happy in its new home!

Ted

Jerry Olexa
11-30-2004, 9:18 PM
Great job! Lots of potential in the new space..Enjoy it, Good work!!

John Miliunas
11-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Nice addition, Karl! BUT, you NEED to emphasize the fact that said storage will also open up MORE room for shop/supplies area(s)! :D I kinda' think THAT may be the major part of this gloat! :) Yeah, don't forget the progress picks, as well as your "new" found space for shop! :)

Mark Singer
11-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Karl, Wonderful addition and toys! Enjoy them well.

Karl Laustrup
12-01-2004, 6:45 AM
Thanks all. And yes John, the purpose of this shed is to house JD and garden type stuff with a secondary purpose. The old shed shown in pic 1 [previous post] will now become home to LOML's stuff currently residing in garage/workshop. This will open up about 50 sq. ft. of space. I want to move lumber to new shed. [pics]
The pics show 2 of the 4 racks of lumber [cherry, oak, maple, box elder, hickory] that currently take up 3 of the 4 walls in garage/workshop. I think I might even have room to obtain one of them thar spinny thingys:) . I also hope to have most tools stationary, with exception of TS and BS. Currently ALL machines are mobile and must be set up each time I want to work.
I will have to get pics of work area as it is now.

Thanks again.

John Miliunas
12-01-2004, 7:54 AM
Dang it, Karl...Little wood there?! :eek: Nice stash! :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
12-09-2004, 5:07 PM
Well, here's an update. The drywall is finally done [see pics]. Next starts the process of transferring the lumber as seen in the earlier pics to the new shed. Don't look too close at the drywall job. It's been about 10 years since I did drywall and it shows. I had help for about half of it and did the rest myself. Forgot how ungainly 4X8 drywall can be. Thank goodness it was only 1/2". Got lucky and borrowed a jack to do the ceiling. Taping and mudding will wait until spring. I have to now concentrate on getting garage/shop set up so I can work more efficiently.
Not much to say about the pics, other than pic one shows one of the quartz heaters I just got from LV. Seems to work pretty good. I've left it on overnight, on low, for a couple of nights and with the insulation etc., it kept the shed at about 42 degrees.

Jim Becker
12-09-2004, 6:27 PM
Very nice building and a great wood inventory!!! Of course, that tractor is the wrong color, but that's ok...we all gotta have preferences! :D

Steve Jenkins
12-09-2004, 7:26 PM
lumber neatly stacked and LABELED. Gotta admit it looks good.

John Miliunas
12-09-2004, 9:27 PM
Very nice building and a great wood inventory!!! Of course, that tractor is the wrong color, but that's ok...we all gotta have preferences! :D

Ohhhh, I don't know. I'm kinda' partial to that green and gold theme, there! :D

Nice job on the shed, Karl. I expect I'll probably get to inspect it up close and personal in a couple weeks or so, heh?! :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
12-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys. All the wood is harvested from the property, so as I use it, each thing I build has some special meaning for me.
Jim, I was just starting to like you, but after that tractor color.........well, we all have our crosses to bear. ;) :D
John, looking forward to seeing you and checking out some lumber yards. I might even have the wood all moved and the garage/shop in some kind of order by the time you come up. Right now it is a total mess, as all effort has been going toward the new shed. I'll even show you my Oneida [course it's still in the boxes].

Karl

Jim Becker
12-11-2004, 8:54 PM
Jim, I was just starting to like you, but after that tractor color.........well, we all have our crosses to bear.
Yea...orange, green, blue, red...they are all colors. :D What you do with them is what counts! (My tractor has been lonely for awhile now...'stopped cutting the grass almost two months ago and other than turning the compost and a little backhoe work awhile back, it's just been sitting)

Karl Laustrup
12-12-2004, 2:30 PM
Well, here's the latest. Didn't get anything done yesterday. Had more important things going on. Went on a field trip to "just outside Spring Green" and had a good visit with John M. After that it was on to Madison and Woodcraft where I bought some stuff. More about that on another thread.

The update. After much huffing and puffing I have managed to get about 90% of my wood transferred to the new shed. [see pic]

Still got a few hours of transfering wood but should be able to finish that up tomorrow. No more today. Football is on now and most importantly the PACK comes on in a couple of hours.

More later,
Karl

John Miliunas
12-12-2004, 2:53 PM
Well, here's the latest. Didn't get anything done yesterday. Had more important things going on. Went on a field trip to "just outside Spring Green" and had a good visit with John M. After that it was on to Madison and Woodcraft where I bought some stuff. More about that on another thread.

The update. After much huffing and puffing I have managed to get about 90% of my wood transferred to the new shed. [see pic]

Still got a few hours of transfering wood but should be able to finish that up tomorrow. No more today. Football is on now and most importantly the PACK comes on in a couple of hours.

More later,
Karl

OK, tell me again: Exactly WHY do you feel a NEED to go to the lumber place up the road from you? Looks to me like you have enough there already to build a whole kitchen, fer cry-eye! :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
12-12-2004, 3:37 PM
But I only got some cherry, maple, oak, box elder and hickory. There's so many more kinds out there. :D

Karl