PDA

View Full Version : Professional Forum?

Steve Griffin
06-23-2010, 10:54 PM
After spending about 15 minutes searching and clicking, I have discovered unlike any other chat forum on the web, I cannot find a place to contact management or make suggestions. I guess it's all been figured out already and they are not open to ideas, or more likely, I'm not smart enough to find it.

What I'd like to propose is a new forum category for those of us in the business. Call it "Professional Woodworking" or something. I could think of about 5 threads I'd like to start for conversation in this area which really don't fit nicely into existing forums. It sure would be nice to have a place to chat with other business owners and discuss the unique problems we have.

Or not,

Steve

Keith Outten
06-24-2010, 7:07 AM
Steve,

At the bottom of every page there is a blue menu bar. Click on the Contact Us (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/sendmessage.php) link.

Don't expect a fast reply, we receive thousands of messages per day. Sending a Private Message to me, Aaron or Jackie is the best means of contacting us.

Belinda Barfield
06-24-2010, 8:11 AM
Steve, my two cents worth - or not.

My number one rule of business is - be profitable.
My second rule of business is - there are some customers you don't want.

Tell the customer to take a hike. As Mitchell said, your first disgruntled customer in ten years? That one customer won't destroy the business reputation.

Regarding that old customer is always right adage, I disagree. Several years ago I had to deal with a transplanted to the south New York attorney (no offense intended to New Yorkers or attorneys). First of all, he thought I was dumber than southern dirt. In all fairness to him, it wasn't just me. He was one of those people who moved here but apparently hated everything about the south. I quoted countertops to him and the price included sales tax. He argued with me for three weeks that he was not required to pay sales tax. I even faxed him a copy of the state's guidelines regarding sales tax. After receiving a lot of verbal abuse from him I told my boss that either he was going to have to deal with the jerk, or I was going to tell the jerk where he could stick his arguments. The boss told me to handle the situation as I saw fit. So I did, and told the guy that we didn't want or need his business. As soon as I stood up to him he became as sweet as sugar, and we subsequently did three other jobs for him.

Oh, back to your initial question. The Lumber Yard is the best place currently for this type of discussion.

Matt Meiser
06-24-2010, 8:22 AM
Oh, back to your initial question. The Lumber Yard is the best place currently for this type of discussion.

Yep, its hidden from the search engines. Don't want your clients googling you and finding your rant about them.

Jim Koepke
06-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Regarding that old customer is always right adage, I disagree.

I find people who insist on being wrong will often throw this phrase around.

It may have been a good idea at one time. Unfortunately, those who are out to take advantage of everyone and everything have ruined it just like all else they have touched.

jim

Jim Becker
06-24-2010, 5:36 PM
I will add that the Forum Technical Support Forum is also available for suggestions from general membership. The Lumber Yard Forum is not accessible to folks not opting to be SMC Contributors. That said, there have often been discussions in the Lumber Yard that are similar to what is described in the OP.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Jerome Hanby
06-24-2010, 9:27 PM
I think the customer is always right, but there is no reason he shouldn't pay a surcharge.

I think without that house rule, you end up with the situation we seem to see everyday. Example, I asked the clerk at Lowe's if their machine accepted ATM cards (note ATM not debit), he said yes, so I figured I'd hang on to my cash. Of course the machine didn't handle ATM cards (few do anymore), so I remarked that it didn't support that kind of card and pulled out my cash. The goof proceeded to argue with me. And keep arguing with me. I finally said, are you insane? Stop arguing with a customer that has his money in hand. He continued and I put my cash away and left. BTW, HD did process the ATM card no problem :p

Don Alexander
06-24-2010, 9:52 PM
+1 for what Belinda said :)