PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Circles/Rounds

Ken Kirkeby
11-30-2004, 2:29 PM
I'm fairly new to woodworking and I'm building a cyclone dust collector (plans are from Wood magazine). I need to cut a bunch of rounds and I'm not sure how. I have lots of tools but not experience. Router? Jig saw? Chisel? About the only thing I don't have in my shop is a band saw. Suggestions?

Donnie Raines
11-30-2004, 2:41 PM
Not sure what size circles you need...but I am guessing something in the 4-6 inch area. I was going to suggest a bandsaw with a jig to rotate the baord through so that you had nice consistent cuts....but that's out. You could use a router with a circle jig...store bought or shop made(I would go with the later).

Also, if the size of the circle you need is in the area that I suspect it to be...they sell big hole-saw's now up to 8 inchs.....the center would be bored through though. Some of the big box stores sell mdf circles in a varity of sizes....maybe those could work.

Jim Becker
11-30-2004, 3:18 PM
A router on a trammel would be the most efficient and flexible solution for the sizes of circles you'd be doing for a cyclone project...and it can be real inexpensive...just some scrap 1/4" plywood for the tramel, a nail as a pivot point, etc.

Ted Shrader
11-30-2004, 4:01 PM
Ken -

Ditto on the router. Setting up a trammel point jig is easy, fast and cheap. Also you will be able to vary the size slightly if required for different circles.

Let us know how it comes out.

Regards,
Ted

Matt Allan
11-30-2004, 4:25 PM
3 votes for router with trammel.. Its what I always use.. Used from a picnic table top to small ones. Scrap of plywood and nail/screw/dowel and you are set for any size circle. Just take it in a few passes if the wood is thick.

Donnie Raines
11-30-2004, 4:57 PM
4 if you count mine too..... :rolleyes: :D

Mark Singer
11-30-2004, 5:02 PM
That will be 5!

Keith Outten
11-30-2004, 6:37 PM
I vote for the router and tramel as well. I also suggest that you scribe the circle then rough cut with your jig saw to within 1/4" of the line to remove most of the surrounding material. This will lighten the router cut and make it easier on your router bit and motor. More importantly it will virtually eliminate any kickback when the part is separated from the waste material.

Experienced woodworkers will think my suggestion trivial but those with less experiance may not be thinking about the safety aspects of cutting circles with a router. This applies to pattern routing as well.

Lou Morrissette
11-30-2004, 6:56 PM
Ken,
I built that unit from Wood magazine and it works great. The guys are right. I used a router and trammel for cutting the cover and the smaller daddo circle and it worked real slick. That's the way to go.
Good luck

Lou

Jerry Olexa
11-30-2004, 9:29 PM
Router trammel is easiest and quickest and EASY to build. Simply a srap of ply and a couple openings to form the radius. Good precision.

Steve Cox
11-30-2004, 9:53 PM
I think mine is the tenth vote if I counted right. One suggestion would be to find a plan that looks good to you and make a nice circle jig. You'll probably have use for it later down the road and a piece of plywood with a nail becomes permanent if you're not careful.:cool: