PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Clewes Classes

David Cramer
06-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Has anyone from the Creek taken a class from Jimmy Clewes in Las Vegas? His fee of $200 per day includes lunch, refreshments throughout the day and "all class materials" and it seems pretty reasonable for a 9-5 lesson for 3 days. He seems so darn likeable that I can't see it as being anything but both fun and educational. Definitely a goal of mine in a year or two. So has anyone actually taken a class with him? Thanks!

David

David E Keller
06-23-2010, 10:19 PM
I just took the three day course about a month ago. Jimmy and his wife Mary couldn't have been more hospitable. I had an absolutely fantastic time, and I started talking to my wife about a return trip before I even left. I'll post some photos of some things I did while I was there at some point. I would recommend the course without any reservation at all. You can tailor the course to your specific wants/needs. I did my first HF while I was there which was my top priority. I turned a version of the Clewes lidded Asian box. I did some eccentric turning on spindles to create spirals. I also did a platter with silver leaf, texturing, and coloring.

If you sign up, I'd recommend you think about what you want to focus on while you are there. Jimmy will help you establish a project for whatever it is that you'd like to learn. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Larry Marley
06-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Hi David,
I have not, but some of my club members have and they really enjoyed it.

Thom Sturgill
06-24-2010, 6:50 AM
I haven't taken classes from him, but have most of his videos and saw him at a symposium. $200/day is a bargain.

Hilel Salomon
06-24-2010, 7:46 AM
I've only taken one class in my life (and my work shows it---well there's also lack of talent) It was a group class of 10 under Jimmy Clewes. He's fantastic, and I learned tons. He's funny, patient, knowledgeable and a great teacher!!!!
Hilel.

Archie England
06-24-2010, 8:57 AM
Jimmy did a club (Bayou Wood Turners, NOLA) weekend plus several one day sessions for the following week. The one day session is what I could attend. It was fantastic. We had about a dozen lathes going, all working on the same project. Jimmy demonstrated great wit and patience--for we were all at various levels. We had fun and made some good looking bowls. I could easily see spending three days under his teaching.

Rick Huelsbeck
06-24-2010, 9:04 AM
He is just a blast to work with.

Tim Rinehart
06-24-2010, 9:36 AM
Jimmy did a club event for the Southern Piedmont Woodturners about a month or so ago, and I think it likely echoed much of his classes from sounds of it.

That being said, his instruction style is superb, staging each portion of a turning so that you don't get too far when you do it yourself thinking... "now what was it he did about 4 steps back?". His staging of the individual projects works very well for student success at repeating what was done and remembering key techniques presented.

Don't hesitate to take a class with Jimmy, he won't disappoint you.:D

David Cramer
06-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks to all of you who responded. It's a goal of mine to get out there in a couple of years and you've all convinced me that it's the right move. I am a rookie and I will readily admit it, but I hope to up my turning game by the time I take his class. Thanks again!!!

David