PDA

View Full Version : Favorite lathe tool

bryan stanley
06-23-2010, 7:15 PM
What is your favorite tool to use on the lathe and why? Typically I like to use a carbide insert chucked up in a pair of vise grips. This allows me better control when turning aluminum and brass. Plus I can change inserts at will without the use of other tools.

Bryan

Scott Hackler
06-23-2010, 7:35 PM
uh.. am I missing something or do you realize this is a woodworking forum? (btw, nice business plug at the end of the video)
:confused:

bryan stanley
06-23-2010, 7:52 PM
I turn wood the same way, pretty aggressive.

Frank Drew
06-24-2010, 1:06 AM
For spindle turning, I like the skew, but I had a number of them with different blade geometries.

For faceplate/bowl turning, I guess the normal HSS 1/2" bowl gouge -- it's such a workhorse.

Neil Strong
06-24-2010, 8:18 AM
Typically I like to use a carbide insert chucked up in a pair of vise grips.

Now that's differen't!...:D

Scott Lux
06-24-2010, 10:24 AM
If favorite means the one I like the most, it's my 3/8" bowl gouge. If it means what I use the most, it's sandpaper. :o

Kyle Iwamoto
06-24-2010, 11:44 AM
If favorite means the one I like the most, it's my 3/8" bowl gouge. If it means what I use the most, it's sandpaper. :o

+1 on sandpaper, 80 grit being my "favorite" followed closely by that 3/8" (or 1/2" american) bowl gouge....

I have to add that visegrips/carbide seems sketchy at best.

John Hart
06-24-2010, 1:16 PM
My favorite tool is my Ugly Stick. Not because it is the greatest thing in the world...but because I made it myself...it is what I learned to turn with....and I will probably pass it on to my kids as an ugly memento.

154165 154166

....and I still use it...in fact I used it last night on the inside shoulder of a vase.

Michael James
06-25-2010, 10:16 AM
The sharpest one suitable for the cut im attempting. I'm really trying to befriend the skew. Im beginning to rationalize that the "catch and run" effect can be used as a decorative effect, if properly sanded!:cool:
OK, it's early, I need coffee....sorry

Tim Rinehart
06-25-2010, 10:22 AM
My favorite tool is my Ugly Stick. Not because it is the greatest thing in the world...but because I made it myself...it is what I learned to turn with....and I will probably pass it on to my kids as an ugly memento.

154165 154166

....and I still use it...in fact I used it last night on the inside shoulder of a vase.

John, John, John...that thing looks like it was forged in the bowels of hell.

OK, I for one really like it! What character it has...kinda like, "well, he/she has a nice personality".
:p

Prashun Patel
06-25-2010, 10:34 AM
My favorite tool is my Ugly Stick.

That thing is weathered, worn, and utterly beautiful.

John Hart
06-25-2010, 10:49 AM
John, John, John...that thing looks like it was forged in the bowels of hell....

heh heh...It probably was, Tim :)

You see...there was this Pear tree in the back yard....old sucker. I had to cut it down and dig out the stump. Down under the root structure, there was a 1940 penny...in perfect green patina condition, and an old chisel with the wood rotted off.
I have the penny sitting on my desk in front of me right now, and the chisel became the ugly stick.

Oh..and I still have this platter from the pear tree, now residing in the new library.
(It's entitled "Worm Guts In A Pear Tree")
The original thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20384&highlight=worm+guts