PDA

View Full Version : Here is something on a LARGER scale (wood flooring design)

Zsolt Paul
06-23-2010, 6:38 PM
This was one of the largest single continuous designs I had ever done. This was a prefinished bamboo floor, color filled with tinted polyurethane. It's nice to find customers who are willing to let you go a lil' wild! :-)

Zsolt Paul
06-23-2010, 6:39 PM
I forgot .... the overall length was over 30 feet. Each pond is over 5 ft diameter.

Steve Clarkson
06-23-2010, 7:12 PM
How did you make that?

Zsolt Paul
06-23-2010, 7:17 PM
First and foremost LOTS of drawing and file design time!!!! I spent a week just on getting the water to look like water. Then days and days of lasering and color filling / finishing. First time my mp3 player ran out of songs to play during one project! LOL

Dee Gallo
06-23-2010, 7:27 PM
Absolutely one of the most unique and well done pieces I've ever seen, Paul!

You did a gorgeous design and executed it perfectly - they must be thrilled and you have a masterpiece in your portfolio. Whose concept was this in the first place?

Did you tint the urethane yourself or use some pre-mixed stuff? Great colors.

cheers, dee

ps- do you have any pix of it before the color was added?

Zsolt Paul
06-23-2010, 8:09 PM
Thank you so much Dee! I appreciate it! The customer originally wanted a more traditional border or medallion, however she kept saying that she wants something more "unique". My kind of customer! She wanted something that was balanced and serene. THis is going to be her gym / sauna / meditation area. I suggested to break away from the traditional border / medallion approach and do more of a "free form" shape from one room into the other. Initially I thought of a "river" concept, flowing from room to room, since water is very calming. I would have liked to make the river a bit more "waivy" and less symmetrical, but as much as she was open to doing something a little more abstract (in concept), the design had to be balanced and symmetrical. So, the concept, design was mine, with her input shaping the end result.

The water and brick wall colors were my pick, the flowers were hers. Very, very happy customer, and that's what counts! Plus the fact that I had tremendous fun with this project!:)

Zsolt Paul
06-23-2010, 8:14 PM
Did you tint the urethane yourself or use some pre-mixed stuff? Great colors.

cheers, dee

ps- do you have any pix of it before the color was added?

Sorry, forgot to answer these.... Yes, I did tint the urethane myself (otherwise its way too limiting). I use universal tints / pigments / even a little paint sometimes, if its water based urethane.

No, unfortunately I do not have pictures before the color was added. Everything was done in house prior to installation, even the color. Nothing on site (exept the install of course). It was bamboo, which does not naturally burn like maple for instance. It was pretty "blah" without color.

Andrea Weissenseel
06-24-2010, 1:35 AM
That's beautiful Paul ! Looks like a lot of work - I bet this was a lot of fun too

:) Andrea

paul mott
06-24-2010, 2:46 AM
That is the most remarkable project - excellent, absolutely excellent work.

Paul.

Stephen Kane
06-24-2010, 3:14 AM
Magnificent work Paul! You will get a lot of well deserved mileage from that project.

Viktor Voroncov
06-24-2010, 5:42 AM
Perfect!
But have question - you did engrave INSERT and after put this insert inside special hole in floor? Or you did engraving ON FLOOR PARTS?

Belinda Barfield
06-24-2010, 8:15 AM
That is simply gorgeous, Paul.

Terry Swift
06-24-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree with everyone else. Great job and project. Hopefully well compensated as well. That kind of time and detail - amazing.

Maybe one day!!!!!

Steve Eide
06-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Wonderful design and implementation. Congratulations

Zsolt Paul
06-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Thank you everyone for your very kind words!

Perfect!
But have question - you did engrave INSERT and after put this insert inside special hole in floor? Or you did engraving ON FLOOR PARTS?

The floor was a prefinished floor, which meant I did not want to cut it anywhere, because no sanding was possible afterwards. It the floor was cut, lets face it, on a less than 100% perfect subfloor, there would have been some misaligned edges (especailly over 35 feet). The image was lased on indivudual boards, with the original factory t&g left in place.

Viktor Voroncov
06-24-2010, 12:45 PM
In this case I must double my regrets to you :)

I am selling lasers and do this job very well, because I am very professional in explanation how my customers can make money with lasers. And looks like I know everything about lasering. But when I saw your job, or Onur's jobs, or some my customers jobs, I understood that laser possibilities are endless :)

Zsolt Paul
06-24-2010, 5:01 PM
Thanks. Indeed, the possibilities are endless. When I hear some say "think outside of the box", I usually say "what box"? :D