PDA

View Full Version : Turning south american palm???

Donny Lawson
06-23-2010, 5:27 PM
A friend of mine asked if I could turn "south american palm" and I couldn't answer that question.Are palm trees not hairy like and not turnable? If this can be turned where can I find some wood for pens?
Donny

Michael James
06-23-2010, 7:26 PM
My local Woodcraft sometimes has "palm", but being a desert rat, I wouldnt know one from the other... when in doubt make it outa pine and stain it black walnut!:eek: (JK)

David E Keller
06-23-2010, 7:38 PM
I've turned red palm, black palm, and Australian palm for pens. It's much easier to turn when stabilized. I know Arizona Silhouette sells stabilized palm and probably several other sites do as well. It's really cool looking when cross-cut, but it can be pretty difficult to turn that way even when stabilized. Palm is pretty fibrous and course, but it's a very attractive medium for pens.

I'm not sure what "South American palm" is, so I can speak to that specifically.

brian watts
06-23-2010, 8:25 PM
i TRY to turn black plam and it didnot come out very good.. i ask someone about it after i try it and they told me to soak it in CA they turn it . i would try that way if you turn it..

Thom Sturgill
06-23-2010, 8:35 PM
I've been told there is a turner in Melborne, FL (about 40 miles north) that specializes in Palm. She turns it wet, says it does not turn well unless freshly cut. Never tried it myself.

Richard Madison
06-23-2010, 8:52 PM
I tried a piece of the ornamental palm (as seen in shopping centers in this area). Like trying to turn a head of lettuce, and eats your tools for lunch. Have rarely met a piece of "wood" I didn't like, but this was an exception.

Barry Elder
06-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Palm is palm. You are turning grass. Use scary-sharp tools. Take a mild tranquilizer before you start. Warn your wife and kids to ignore your screaming! Only buy one piece of palm.:D

Tim Rinehart
06-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Don't run your hand over it to "see how smooth it is". It will leave little needle pricks all over your hand...don't ask me how I know this.

Double face/eye protection!

And I double that "everyone should turn this stuff...once!!"