PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Planer Question

Gary Lange
06-23-2010, 5:05 PM
Does anyone have the Grizzly G0689 13" Planer or have any opinion on this. I am thinking of getting it for the shop.

Gary Lange
06-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Well I guess it will be up to me to get it and give a review on it for the next guy down the road. We shall see how it works out.

Butch Edwards
06-24-2010, 5:50 PM
Gary..I don't have that particular planer. I have the 12.5" Grizzly. I've planed many,many boards thru that lil thing ovber the past 6 or 7 years. no compalints at all. I will say this, tho.... you'll get a much better job out of the samller planers if you use a sled... best tip I ever received about using the samller bench-top machines. no more worrying about infeed/outfeed adjustments..and I get less snipe,too!!
Best of luck...and I'll be looking for a report, as I'll be needing a new planer before too long !!!

craig greene
06-24-2010, 6:57 PM
The March issue of Wood Magazine has a shop test of 11 bench top planers and the Grizzly G0689 was one that they tested. The only high points it got were the ability to locate the height adjustment handle on either side and the depth of cut gauge was accurate and easy to use. The main low point that would give pause was, "Cut quality proved slightly better than fair."

For about the same money, the Dewalt DW734 and Ridgid R4330 scored much better. I also know that right now CPO Ridgid has the refurbished R4330 for $299 shipped. Both can also be had new at Home Depot for $399 in my area.

Gary Lange
06-24-2010, 7:53 PM
Went to Grizzly today and purchased the G0689 and the stand. Got it assembled and attached the Planer to the stand. It seems to be a very nice unit after running a couple pieces of Maple I had through it they came out smooth as glass. I am happy with the purchase so far and will be using it more in the next few days since I am building a Coffee Table. Thanks for the Info Craig if they had a better cut then this unit it must be awesome.