PDA

View Full Version : rust on plane from glue streaks

matt braun
06-23-2010, 3:31 PM
I set a block plane side-down on a piece of wood with dried glue streaks. About a week later when I picked the plane up, I noticed surface rust/corrosion where the plane made contact with the glue.

How can I remove this rust?

I hope to attach a picture this evening.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-23-2010, 4:12 PM
Pick your favorite method.... I sometimes use fine steel wool with oil (I have oil specifically formulated for this task). I also have products specifically designed for this task. The people that make T-9 have a product. I picked up an environmentally friendly product at Home Depot that eats away the rust....

Andrew Pitonyak
06-23-2010, 4:15 PM
And check here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142507&highlight=rust

Jon van der Linden
06-23-2010, 4:21 PM
It depends on how bad it is. If it's just a stain I'd leave it alone. I have one plane that has a tattoo that some glued up boards left on it, but it's just a mark so it stays.

If it's actual rust, you need to remove all of the rusted portion. There are lots of threads here on that, but fortunately I've never had to go to that extreme so I'll leave any comment on that to the experts.

Mike Fairleigh
06-24-2010, 1:51 AM
For the occasional "oops" surface rust stain, I don't think you can beat the Sandflex Hand Block made by Klingspor. Available from several sources including LN, Amazon, & Woodcraft.

Ross Canant
06-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Scrape it off with a razor blade, wax it, and use it.

Steve Dallas
06-28-2010, 2:00 PM
I set a block plane side-down on a piece of wood with dried glue streaks. About a week later when I picked the plane up, I noticed surface rust/corrosion where the plane made contact with the glue.

How can I remove this rust?

I hope to attach a picture this evening.

Don't waste your time posting a picture: 400 grit, WD-40 and about five minutes of your time will take care of this. I've pretty much given up on rust prevention and just sand and oil whenever a little rears its ugly head and I have a few minutes on my hands.