PDA

View Full Version : How to sand small curved pieces?

Jeremy Milam
06-23-2010, 2:16 PM
I’m looking for advice on how to more quickly sand curved pieces, or at least not as slow as it’s been taking me. Right now I’ve been using sand paper by hand but that’s taking forever. I don’t want anything to big or expensive and both space and money are major considerations. At the same time, to make this 6 piece train took me about 90 minutes to layout and bandsaw and I now have the same amount of time spent sanding and I’m not even close to being done.

I’m only planning to make one and I don’t have a drill press. I’ll be making similar items in the future. I’ve thought about an attachment for a hand drill but I don’t know if that would work on such small curves. If so maybe a jig to keep it at a right angle to the face of the piece? My other thought is a Dremel or something like that. Not to thrilled with either idea, not tiring of sanding by hand as well.

Each animal is about 6 inches tall, on average and 3/4 inch thick.

Suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeremy
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1034/4728205706_ab3ce6b8e1_m.jpg

Prashun Patel
06-23-2010, 2:40 PM
I finer tooth blade might get you closer to smooth next time.

Depending on how small the pieces are, you might be able to make a template out of 1/4" hardboard and then use a thin trim bit at the router table.

Last, you should consider buying either a drill press or an oscillating spindle sander. They work great and are IMHO a good investment. You might also consider altering your patterns next time to accomodate the smallest type of sanding drum or trim bit you use to clean up.

Nathan Palenski
06-23-2010, 3:33 PM
If you know someone who has a non-pin type scrollsaw you can chuck a piece of sand paper into it. Its perfect for sanding places that you can't get your smallest spindle into. Since you're only making a couple you could definately do the whole thing that way.

Brian Kincaid
06-23-2010, 3:40 PM
If you know someone who has a non-pin type scrollsaw you can chuck a piece of sand paper into it. Its perfect for sanding places that you can't get your smallest spindle into. Since you're only making a couple you could definately do the whole thing that way.

I have a pin scrollsaw :eek: and I have sandpaper that I can use with it as well. I don't know where to order it but it is out there.
-Brian

Kyle Iwamoto
06-23-2010, 3:47 PM
I know you mentioned that you didn't want to spend money, but it seems to me that a cheapo 1" belt benchtop sander would quickly do the trick. I vaguely remember Delta had a cheapo in the Blue BORG for less than 100 bucks. If you do pick it up, you'll rapidly find multiple uses for it..... Handy for crafters to have. I do know that Sears has one too.

Gene Howe
06-23-2010, 3:49 PM
Shawn has the right ideas.
I think the smallest drum for my Rigid OS is about 5/8 in diameter. Don't think you'd do better (smaller) with a DP mounted spindle, either. Some alteration of your pattern might be in order.
The pinless scroll saw sanding blade would work for the really tight areas.

Nathan Palenski
06-23-2010, 4:34 PM
I have a pin scrollsaw :eek: and I have sandpaper that I can use with it as well. I don't know where to order it but it is out there.
-Brian

I know rockler sells the real deal scroll saw sand paper for both types but it sounded like he didnt really want to invest anything and he already said he had sandpaper.

David Cefai
06-24-2010, 1:21 AM
If you had the same tools that I do you would use a variable speed drill mounted on a table clamp and a Dremel sanding drum chucked in it.

In my case the only outlay would be the sanding drum - or I would use a 1/2" flap sander I already have.