PDA

View Full Version : The purple hippo

Dan Mages
11-30-2004, 11:49 AM
What do you think of my avatar. Should I keep it, or should it go?

Dan

Michael Ballent
11-30-2004, 12:06 PM
I crack up ever time I see the purple hippo doing his/her dance ;)

Donnie Raines
11-30-2004, 12:10 PM
I think he's funny....but these days you never no what people will say/feel/do.

Keith Starosta
11-30-2004, 12:31 PM
I think he's hilarious! Keep him, definitely!

Keith

Glenn Clabo
11-30-2004, 12:48 PM
Whew...Thanks for telling me it wasn't just something only I was seeing...I thought it was the cheap scotch.

larry merlau
11-30-2004, 1:16 PM
i like the idea of seeing a real pic but the hippo is neat with the movment. the original idea of avatars were to see who we are talking to wasnt it? i am sure if i was at a barbcue or picnic that i wouldnt recognize the real mr mages. :D

Lloyd Frisbee
11-30-2004, 3:47 PM
Hippo? I thought it was Barney!

Jim Becker
11-30-2004, 3:56 PM
I keep wondering why he keeps smacking himself... :D Far be it for me to suggest what someone's avitar should look like!!!

Bob Hovde
11-30-2004, 4:32 PM
Does the avitar tell us something about your looks or personality? I would imagine that a purple hippo would have a strong personality, either :) or :mad: .

While we're at it, in which state/country/world is your Hobbit Hole? I don't think we have any left in Alabama.

Bob

James Giordano
12-01-2004, 4:51 AM
I like your hippo. I think I've seen him someplace before.

Keith Starosta
12-01-2004, 6:58 AM
I keep wondering why he keeps smacking himself... :D Far be it for me to suggest what someone's avitar should look like!!!

Me thinks he's not actually slapping himself. :D Look at him again, as if he is doing the "air slap" on someone's....errr.......backside. ;)

Keith

Dan Gill
12-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Okay, I'll take up the gauntlet . . . Death to the hippo!

Rob Bourgeois
12-01-2004, 12:38 PM
That reminds me of the movie "Death to smoochie". Smoochie was a hippo or a dino?

Scott Coffelt
12-01-2004, 12:56 PM
I think it is funny, but then again it is suggestive and since we can not use bad words or even hidden words then I think it falls outside of what is clean. I've seen some avatars at a particular site that are pretty bad.

Robert E Lee
12-01-2004, 4:31 PM
I though maybe he was riding horse, like in the older comedy shows.
Bob

Chris Padilla
12-01-2004, 6:03 PM
Moving avatars are annoying...Jason R.'s is REAL annoying! :)

Frank Pellow
12-01-2004, 8:32 PM
Just like I like the real names on Saw Mill Creek, I like to see real pictures.

Aaron Koehl
12-02-2004, 11:20 AM
As a personal preference, I like real avatars, but I'm not going to screen them unless they a) contain advertising, b) are lewd, or c) are REALLY annoying. :D

Donnie Raines
12-02-2004, 11:26 AM
I have been thinking about this the last few days. The thing I really like about these forums is the sense of "bond" we have....and seeing a real name and real face adds to that(for me). When I see the funny avitars I do laugh..but wonder what that person really looks like.

I was going to up date mine....but the digital camera blew up..... :rolleyes:

Lee Schierer
12-02-2004, 1:05 PM
Without an avatar of what you look like, you'll be difficult to recognize at any woodworker gatherings.

Betsy Yocum
12-03-2004, 1:50 PM
Dan - I have to admit the hippo is cute - if it wasn't for the slapping part. I do think it's a bit on the suggestive side and agree that it probably is not the best for the site.

Now as for putting pictures of people up - even though I put my real name on the site I'm hesitant about doing the picture thing - not sure why really - I've never even put my full name in the phonebook - always just initials. So I think the people picture is just a personal preference thing.

Long and short though - while I think the hippo is cute and you certainly have the right to keep it - since you asked - I'd pick something else.

Just my 2 cents
Betsy

Scott Parks
12-03-2004, 4:38 PM
I like to see who i'm chatting with, but the hippo is funny...:)

Dan Mages
12-03-2004, 9:56 PM
The hippo will go as soon as I can get another picture to use.

Dan

Randy Meijer
12-03-2004, 11:44 PM
??????????????????????????????????????

It seemed to me like the majority of the written comments were positive or neutral. Was I ever surprised when I looked at the result of the poll....... would have never guessed!!

As far as I am concerned, if you like him.......keep him!!! But he and I both need some dance lessons...:D

Frank Pellow
12-04-2004, 7:05 AM
The hippo will go as soon as I can get another picture to use.

Dan
Good! I hope that you decided to use a real picture of yourself.

Keith Starosta
12-04-2004, 8:27 AM
Dan, I'm not going to argue against you changing your avatar, because frankly....that would be plain silly. However, I'm hoping that you are changing it because YOU want to, and not because a few people said you should..... :rolleyes:

Keith

Randy Meijer
12-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Good! I hope that you decided to use a real picture of yourself.
You should be careful what you wish for......because you might actually get your wish!!!:D

Dan Mages
12-04-2004, 8:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with the Hippo. He is just a happy guy who is slapping his belly. It could be said that I should keep the hippo because I like him. However, this is a community of good people and I do not want to make anyone uncomfortable with my silly avatar. Once I get my cell phone working, I will get a picture to use.

Dan

John M. Cioffi
12-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Dan,

Why is it even thought about as an issue?
Who should care, except that your handsome face is being hidden.
I like it and vote for you to keep it,if you want to.
Why don't we switch the vote to Chris's Marvin!!!???

Have a great day,

John

Kevin Murdock
12-06-2004, 4:53 PM
There is nothing wrong with the Hippo. He is just a happy guy who is slapping his belly.
Dan

Hey Dan,

Uhmm... I'm not sure how to approach this, but I don't think that the hippo is doing what you think he is doing. Of course, I could always be the one in error. As Dee Snider said to Tipper Gore in '85, maybe the vulgarity is all in your (ie: my) mind. :eek: Though I regret that this is not the case. :D

The routine that the hippo is performing is a very popular urban reference that "the kids these days" use to show a "physical casual encounter" with a lady. It's used a lot in today's music videos, movies and such.

I was surprised that no one complained, given SMC's strong conservative stance on most things.

You couldn't put into words the actions that your icon is taking, given the TOS as stated today. My guess is that would at a minimum get the thread at least removed from the site.

It's doesn't bother me at all, but I'm probably a bit more liberal in my views than most here.

Hope this helps,
/Kevin

Aaron Koehl
12-07-2004, 10:00 AM
I wasn't going to call it as long as nobody realized what dance move/gesture it was.. but you are correct about the hippo. By the way, the full dance video can be found here: http://kozo.apparitiondesigns.com/