PDA

View Full Version : Bonding a laser mirror to metal plate

Richard Rumancik
06-23-2010, 11:43 AM
I am replacing a mirror on my laser and need to bond it to the metal carrier plate. It is a silicon mirror. Any suggestions? I am inclined to use epoxy but thought I would ask first.

BTW - do most of the "low power" laser engravers use silicon mirrors? Has anyone seen copper mirrors on these machines or is that used only for high power industrial lasers?

Rodne Gold
06-23-2010, 12:38 PM
I always thought mine were polished steel that is gold plated? I used superglue on one of mine when it came off its mount plate as I wanted a superthin very rigid bond. Its still on 3 yrs down the line
We clean em with lens cleaner tissue and lens cleaner (Kodak), however if you use acetone , the superglue might not hold?
http://www.eoc-inc.com/lbp/substrates_silicon.htm say this however
Heat transfer compound is often used on the back of Silicon mirrors to sink heat away to a cooling pad. Many brands of heat transfer compound are very strongly absorbing in the infra red, and the slightest residue on optical surfaces of the paste will cause severe absorption and rapid destruction of the mirror. See our technical document about contamination of laser optics
Not sure if this applies to you

Dan Hintz
06-23-2010, 12:49 PM
You should be able to use most anything that will stick to both substances. Heating is not an issue with our low-power systems until the mirror is so heavily scratched as to become undesirable (we're talking milliWatts of power loss here).

Mike Null
06-23-2010, 12:52 PM
I'd be inclined to try silicone adhesive just because it's easliy reversable.

Hilton Lister
06-23-2010, 3:26 PM
I used an epoxy resin on my carriage mirror over 3 years ago, when it came apart. Still seems fine (touch wood!)

paul mott
06-24-2010, 3:01 AM
I have never had to do it but I would use epoxy. (that's what they use to bond the 100% mirror to the end of the tube, isin't it ?).

Paul.