PDA

View Full Version : CA Finish over Poly/Shellac?

Matt Hutchinson
06-23-2010, 9:21 AM
So, I decided to try to make a couple ice cream scoop kits. I have a church craft fair this weekend, and I thought I would give it a shot. I had planned on putting on my typical shellac seal coat, followed by a wipe on poly finish.

So after I have a couple coats on, it finally dawns on me that I really need to make sure all the pores are filled up so they don't get gooey ice cream jammed in them. DOH!

Any thoughts on whether I can coat over what I have with a CA finish? Thanks all!

Hutch

David Woodruff
06-23-2010, 9:30 AM
Ca is a very good solvent for most polymers with maybe epoxy being the exception. I think it would develop into a clunky mess(tech. term). However; if you decide to do it, let me know how it turns out.

Michael James
06-23-2010, 9:41 AM
Matt,
you can build shellac up, sand down, build up. It's probably a lost art but the concept of the "french polish is exactly that. you can get a very glassy smooth finish on anything that way. Of course, shellac has it's limitations too, but you can overcoat with your choice.
Just a thought.
mj

Matt Hutchinson
06-24-2010, 9:07 AM
Thanks guys! I think y'all are right.....not worth the risk of screwing up the existing finish. So after reading your responses I went out and pore filled and stained it (the filler that is). I think the staining process pulled a little filler out with it, which is not unexpected, but it's gonna be a lot better than it was I think. I'll try to post a pic once a few more coats of finish are applied.

Hutch