PDA

View Full Version : Coolibah Burl from Outback NSW

Peter Hay in Aus
06-23-2010, 8:55 AM
Another beautiful timber only found in Aussie.

Peter.:D

bob svoboda
06-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Beautiful Pen, Peter. My wife is visiting our daughter in Melbourne at this time--any ideas for her to get some of your beautiful woods to bring home?

Tim Rinehart
06-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Peter,
I've noticed you do like the coves and beads adorning your pens...I've not seen many do that. Very nice.
Also a great way to take an otherwise simple pen design (slimline) and dress it up, add a little bulk that some like. Well done.
Oh, OK...the wood is very nice as well. Haven't turned Coolibah yet, though I have done Red Mallee burl. Hard as a rock!

Toney Robertson
06-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Nice pen and beautiful wood.

I did a few pens out of Red Mallee and found that after a while they became very rough. Not really cracks but just rough.

Have you had that problem?

Toney

Peter Hay in Aus
06-23-2010, 5:11 PM
Bob, Send me a pm I have a fantastic penmaking friend who lives in Melbourne using my name and his telephone number and our contacts including your wifes family number should be able to set you up.

Toney Red Mallee is one of the worlds beautiful finishing timbers but as you say harder than but a pussy cat compared with Snake Wood etc Like all timbers there are easy and damnably hard thats the character in it like people. My mate just sent several tons of Bull Red Mallee Burl to America cant help where etc but believe me there are heaps of sellers in the States and my humble advice is buy it dry and cut there are large losses when cutting up Burl Caps.

I have a daughter who lives in Utah arriving home very soon for a month so I know the delight and happiness and the etc,s.

A real good contact in Aus is Timberbits.com a good friend David ships to America he lives in Sydney and directly imports from Dayacom who produce solely for him his design Australiana Pen kits designed by David.

Regards Peter.

David E Keller
06-23-2010, 7:53 PM
Another beautiful timber only found in Aussie.

Not true, Peter... I've got some in my garage:D

Nice looking wood. I'm not crazy about the beads and coves on pens because I don't like the way they feel in my hand. It's just a feel thing for me.