PDA

View Full Version : Turners block

Brian Greb
06-23-2010, 12:05 AM
It's kinds like writers block but instead of a blank page i have a hunk of Buckeye Burl. The piece of wood in question is 11" X 7.5" X8". for the life of me after staring at this for 2 months I can't figure out how to turn it or what to make out of it. Should I cut it up in to smaller squares? Should I slam it between centers some how and just have at it? So I'm looking for some ideas... how would you tun it. Hopefully I get some good ideas out of y'all and then I can finally realise the beauty of this burl.

Thanks for looking.

Dennis Ford
06-23-2010, 6:40 AM
I haven't worked with buckeye but would consider a hollow form. Take your time, the right shape will come to you. Do not just "jam it between centers to see what happens".

John Keeton
06-23-2010, 6:48 AM
Brian, I see two HFs there. It appears you could remove the rounded protrusion (which should yield a nice HF) and leave a nice size piece that would also yield a HF. Both of these should end up at least 5.5 - 6" wide x 4" deep - plenty for a beautiful piece with a delicate finial.

Or, in the alternative, send it to me so I can try out my soon to be acquired Monster hollowing rig!!:D

BTW, from the looks of the bottom, you are going to have some gorgeous wood there!!

John Hart
06-23-2010, 6:54 AM
Buckeye burl is one of my favorites....That piece...whatever it becomes...will no doubt be awesome. personally, I see two, maybe three possible pieces. But I dunno. Maybe I need to look at the pictures for two months too. :)

I know there are some folks on this forum who would turn the whole thing at once and make a natural edged coffee table centerpiece....But not me...not with my equipment.

David E Keller
06-23-2010, 7:55 AM
I also see a HF in the blank. The long, protuberant part of the blank is curved which would allow for a tall HF with a natural opening along the concave side of the curve. The cutoffs from that might yield smaller pieces or even casting material for pen blanks. When you cut it up, why not do a little photo essay on how you cut it and what kind of blanks the piece yielded? I'm interested to see what you get out of it. It looks like beautiful wood.

Tim Rinehart
06-23-2010, 8:18 AM
Brian, I'd have to agree with others and specifically what David said. A HF is the only acceptable thing to do with a piece this big...they don't come around easy for most of us.

As you look at it, I wouldn't get too worried if you see one part of the HF will not be solid...that will just add some character. Just be aware of any splits/cracks that may need stabilized before going too far.

Once you have a mental picture of the area between centers, I would recommend that you sketch out what the form wants to look like, to be sure your proportions are clear before starting much turning. Cut out the sketch, and then hold it up to the piece, turning around a couple times will help visualize where you want to go.

Good luck, and by all means a photo essay would be excellent way to show how you stepped thru this. These are challenges of the imagination when in such a rough form as that, but will yield excellent results.:)

Baxter Smith
06-23-2010, 9:09 AM
I can see why you have drawn a blank about what would be best. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Thom Sturgill
06-23-2010, 9:16 AM
Nice quandry to be in.

David Woodruff
06-23-2010, 1:52 PM
Hi Brian, I like the title, been there a few times, then I do what you have already suggested, chunk it up between centers. I typically put the round end to the live center on tail stock side. Guessing at the centers. If I want to optimize the yield to obtain best possible outcome I will rotate by hand and adjust one or both centers. I will then start rough turning and look carefully at the wood is being removed. I may readjust centers several times. If it is a very ususual piece I will take care until I am happy.

The foregoing is option one.
Option two would be, sell me the piece and I will again test the above theorem.

Good Luck & Happy Turning