PDA

View Full Version : 6" or 8"

Joe Shinall
06-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Just got my Wolverine sharpening system in today and I'm still not real comfortable using my 3400RPM grinder. I am looking at Delta's variable speed grinders and there is a pretty good price difference in their 6" and 8" variable speed grinders and wondering if there is a reason for going with 8 over 6???

Larry Marley
06-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Hi Joe,
I have owned both and prefer the 8". It leaves a shallower hollow grind.
But both will work fine. The question to ask is will the Delta fit OK with the Wolverine.

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Like Larry - I have had both and prefer the 8". In addition to a shallower hollow grind - you also have more surface to work with!

Leo Van Der Loo
06-22-2010, 11:57 PM
There's a lot more "rock" on a 8" wheel than a 6" wheel, and after an inch or two of wear there's not much left on a 6" wheel, this is the reason I went for a 10" grinder, it is also much steadier than a high speed 6" grinder.
I do have 7" grinder also, as the price was right :rolleyes: and is a quality machine, made for the US navy at one time :D.

Joe Shinall
06-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks guys, i was thinking the same thing about the hollow grind. And if I'm not mistaken, the Wolverine should work with any grinder Larry. I will check that out though before I order a grinder.

bob svoboda
06-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys, i was thinking the same thing about the hollow grind. And if I'm not mistaken, the Wolverine should work with any grinder Larry. I will check that out though before I order a grinder.
Some grinders (the cheapies, I think) have a base that extends under the wheels-I think those are the only types the Wolverine won't work with. I just picked up a slow speed 8" from WC for about $100.

David DeCristoforo
06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I just ordered a General eight inch slow speed grinder. The " best"
thing would be a ten inch since that would provide the "ideal"
hollow grind for most woodworking tools. A six inch wheel
will create a deeper hollow and leave a weaker edge.

Ryan Baker
06-23-2010, 8:54 PM
Definitely go for an 8" grinder.

The 8" Delta VS does not interfere with the Wolverine, but the 6" does.

However, I strongly recommend you steer away from the Delta VS grinders. They have "issues" that are well documented here.

Bernie Weishapl
06-23-2010, 9:39 PM
Go for the 8" one and also make sure the base doesn't go under the wheels to interfer with the wolverine jigs.

Joe Shinall
06-23-2010, 10:34 PM
I know everybody keeps saying about the one from woodcraft but they don't have it right now. And I really don't wanna wait around to see when they get another one. Can anyone recommend one that's not expensive as the dickens? I can't find anything besides the delta when I look around.

Joe Shinall
06-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Anybody have or heard about the steel city variable speed? It's 139. The General is 189 but it comes with the grey wheels so I would have to then put money into the white wheels.

Neil Strong
06-24-2010, 8:32 AM
8" is better than 6" and 10" better than 6" and.... so on.