PDA

View Full Version : Sore Throat

Donnie Raines
11-30-2004, 10:46 AM
I talk all day....and for the last week or so my throat hurts just from talking. I am not sick....I went to the doctors to check it out. Does anyone have a good home "brew"(by brew I mean remedies....not brewski's) to aid things like this. It appears that I may be loosing my voice...... :mad:

Jerry Olexa
11-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Donnie Old remedy to ease the discomfort: little lemon, and some honey and a jigger of J. Daniels, Stir together and then get some rest for both you and your voice. Others might add some steam or vapor from your shower or vaporizer but mosr important, REST.. Hope you feel better PS Lots of vitamin C and can be added to above concontion

Martin Shupe
11-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Donnie Old remedy to ease the discomfort: little lemon, and some honey and a jigger of J. Daniels, Stir together and then get some rest for both you and your voice. Others might add some steam or vapor from your shower or vaporizer but mosr important, REST.. Hope you feel better PS Lots of vitamin C and can be added to above concontion

Gee, I was just going to suggest lemon drops, but I think Jerry has a better answer. :D

Rob Russell
11-30-2004, 1:10 PM
If you want something you can drink at work, there is a British remedy called LemSip. Not sure where you could find it here. Another old family cure is tea with lemon and honey. FYI, I remember reading that some opera singers use a lemon/honey tea drink for their throats.

Donnie Raines
11-30-2004, 1:14 PM
Thanks guys.

I have been pounding the tea and honey for the last 3-4 days. It works well when "in use", but a few phone calls later and I am back to where I started. I hate to take time off work for "none sickness" reasons.....feels like your playing hookie... :rolleyes:

Charles McKinley
11-30-2004, 2:14 PM
Hi Donnie,

Gargle with salt water and talk as little as possible. I know you talk for a living but rest is the best thing for the voice. If ther is pain Cloresptic (sp) works but taste terrible. It comes in spray or lozengers.

HTH

Jerry Olexa
11-30-2004, 9:22 PM
If all else fails, increase amount of J. Daniels...Seriously, hope you're doing better. Get some logenzes and keep throat moist and lots of vit C. OD on REST on the weekend and don't talk. Read WW mags and watch NYW and D mARKS show quietly...

Michael Stafford
12-01-2004, 6:39 AM
Wild Turkey and a little ice. Cures what ails ya'. No driving or power tools though.

Donnie Raines
12-01-2004, 9:06 AM
Well....I slammed about 4 cups of hot tea last night, and tried Jerry's "elixir". It does a feel a little better....but I think the proper cure is simply not talking for a few days. Sadly, that will need to wait until the weekend.....I guess its more tea, honey and Jerrys drink for me.... :cool:

Jim Becker
12-01-2004, 10:29 AM
I can appreciate your situation, Donnie...I also "talk for a living" given I'm in a "presentations are us" situation with my job, either live as I was in NYC yesterday or via conference call and/or WebEX. I usually use the tea and honey thing, but the reality of it is that resting your voice is ultimately the only solution. That said, if this is persisting, you should consult your doctor...but you knew that!

Steven Wilson
12-01-2004, 5:37 PM
I use to be in radio and around the holiday's my voice would tend to go as I would do a lot of double shifts. Anyhow, hot, fairly weak, green tea worked for me. I could consume a fair bit of it without getting over caffinated and my voice would still be ok. Of course honey, lemon, and JD works better - also hot toddies and hot buttered rum works nice too.