PDA

View Full Version : White Pine Bowl with Blue Stain

Mike Minto
06-22-2010, 8:33 PM
Here's a bowl I made from the white pine I was trying to ID the other day. Turned in one session on my wedding anniversary. About 9"x6", pretty thin, for me. Just one coat of spray-on Deft; I may leave it as is, not so smooth. A little warpage, not much.

David E Keller
06-22-2010, 8:36 PM
Mike, that looks good. I really like the foot on this piece.(I don't think I've ever typed that... I'm making progress):D

I would consider an oil finish for one of your next pieces... It will enhance the blue stain considerably. If the piece is really thin, you may get some translucence.

John Hart
06-22-2010, 9:22 PM
I like the form and I think the foot is cool. It really fits. The stain gives the piece a pastel look to it... I'm not accustomed to that. I think I'll have to stare at it a bit. :)

Baxter Smith
06-22-2010, 9:32 PM
Very nice shape and color. I have an abundance of storm damaged white pine within a 100 yards of me right now. May have to go give it a look tomorrow!

John Keeton
06-22-2010, 9:46 PM
Nice work there, Mr. Minto!! I like the form and the thin walls - really nice coloration.

Thomas Canfield
06-22-2010, 9:58 PM
Mike - nice looking bowl. I like the form, color, and leaving the natural Pine boer hole. I expect that you had some challanges with the wood and needing sharp tools. The blue hue adds to overall apperance.

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Very nice bowl Mike! Has a classic feel to it! Nice work!

Richard Madison
06-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Nice one Mike. I think you nailed one of the "classic" shapes (as Steve said), including the foot.

Michelle Rich
06-23-2010, 10:55 AM
methinks you done good..nice & classic and very well balanced coloration..I usually dislike most feet I see, but this fits this piece

Tim Rinehart
06-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Mike,
Would like to hear how it turned, how you dealt with tearout and such. I imagine the piece is pretty light, right?
Did you turn this green? Was looking at some of the colors, and can't tell if that's moisture or the wood itself.

Nice ogee form and I like the foot (but that's how I roll!)

I have taken down most of the pine that grows in my front yard ...er natural area, as it is prone to boring beetles and then just falls once it gets big enough to be a nuisance. Prefer leaving what available sunshine there for the hardwoods.

Mike Minto
06-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Tim, the wood turned very easily - being a softwood - but did have some chipping and tearing issues. I just tried to make sure my tools were very sharp and used a light touch; however, alot of sanding was involved to smooth the pitting that the tools left. This piece is not perfectly smooth - there are a couple of spots that could be sanded a little better, and a pit or two here and there, but I got tired of sanding, to be honest, and didn't want to take the chance of sanding thru the piece or otherwise ruining it at this stage (which I am famous for :mad:). The coloration is natural; blue stain occasionally occurs in pine - don't know the reason. It is not considered a defect, however, and is often sought out). The piece is very light, yes; also, I did turn it green (it had dried some, I think the tree was dead - that's why my neighbor took it down) and it warped just a little - hard to see in the photos.