PDA

View Full Version : Pen Box with two Pens

Peter Hay in Aus
06-22-2010, 8:25 PM
Box Timber Brown Mallee from South Australia.

Pens Olive and Red Mallee.

Peter.:D

David E Keller
06-22-2010, 8:30 PM
Nicely done. The box is fantastic and the pens aren't too shabby either.

Mike Minto
06-22-2010, 9:07 PM
TOO COOL! How did you align the 'slots' for the pens, top and bottom?

Baxter Smith
06-22-2010, 9:25 PM
The pens look good but they don't stand much of a chance when they are in that box! Beautiful work!

Terry Murphy
06-22-2010, 9:47 PM
That is a great pen box!
Pens too. thank you for shareing.

Terry

Allen Neighbors
06-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Awesome!! And, as David said about the pens, the Router work "ain't too shabby, either".

Kurt Barker
06-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Wow!!! Very nice!

Mike Golka
06-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Great looking pens and I realy like the box, fantastic idea.

Michael James
06-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Peter, this box reminds me of a canary casket (pic) inlaid by the guy that did all of Martin guitars custom work... he never would tell me where that bird was buried. Quite impressive to say the least.

Peter Hay in Aus
06-23-2010, 4:10 AM
I have a heavy cast iron Router Table called variously a pin Router. I can mount the Router itself above or under the table, it has a foot control to lower the Router when mounted above the table.

Alignment is by pencil marks for length and by eye for depth hand holding and sliding the box top (lid) and bottom after setting the depth in smallish adjustments.

Where I worked before I retired 15 yrs ago I bought the stand without router as scrap metal two years later at a garage sale bought the factory Router to match then paid a bloke a large bottle of good red to make the 5/8 inch steel mounting bracket for me. Then it just sat for a few years and voila there it was when I wanted it used it many times since.

I was cutting up the burl by eye on my large bandsaw and found this incredible character then hand held the slices on a 12 inch sanding disk then hand finished to 2000 grit wet and dry by hand on a flat surface, so
flat are the slices simply placing one on top creates enough suction to lift the other half as well. I have retired from making boxes this way I spent a lot of real time making them. When I retired I feel I then learned to run and like making Pens more than boxes. That Burl is only found in one area a thousand miles from where I live has become a favourite. A mate of mine cuts Burl for a living and lives in town one mile from me wholesaling by the ton.

Regards Peter.:)

Joe Aliperti
06-23-2010, 4:10 PM
Beautiful box and finish!

Donny Lawson
06-23-2010, 5:09 PM
That is what I call a Pen Box.WOW!!!!!!!!!! Love the pens too.
Donny

James Combs
06-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Both are most excellent.

Billy Tallant
06-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Pens look great! But I've got to agree with everyone else, that box is something else. Wow!!!