PDA

View Full Version : Snakewood Pen

Peter Hay in Aus
06-22-2010, 8:07 PM
Snakewood the hardest timber to drill for mine.

Peter.:D

John Hart
06-22-2010, 9:24 PM
I love snakewood...but I agree, it can be difficult to work with...but it sure finishes nice.

Nice pen.

David E Keller
06-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Nice pen. I know it's not one of mine because every snakewood pen I've ever turned has at least one crack. I hope yours doesn't crack now that I've seen it:eek:

Larry Marley
06-22-2010, 11:43 PM
that is a pretty wood for a pen.
Nice work

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Peter - good looking pen but sure would like a slightly larger photo to see the details. You are allowed to go up to a 800 x 600 pixel photo with a file size up to 107 KB. Give it a try next time if you can as we would really appreciate seeing more of your work!

Brad Vaughn
06-23-2010, 9:37 AM
Nice pen. I know it's not one of mine because every snakewood pen I've ever turned has at least one crack. I hope yours doesn't crack now that I've seen it:eek:

Well I am sure glad I am not the only one to always end up with cracks in my snakewood pens:D
Nice pen Dave!!

John Hart
06-23-2010, 9:54 AM
Well I am sure glad I am not the only one to always end up with cracks in my snakewood pens:D
Nice pen Dave!!

I'm thinking that it has something to do with the heat generated while turning and sanding. I made a snakewood magnifying glass doohicky a few years back, that was composed of a bunch of small spindles....but not thin like with a pen....and I still got cracks...even though the boards that they came from were very stable. Weird. :confused:

Brad Vaughn
06-23-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm thinking that it has something to do with the heat generated while turning and sanding. I made a snakewood magnifying glass doohicky a few years back, that was composed of a bunch of small spindles....but not thin like with a pen....and I still got cracks...even though the boards that they came from were very stable. Weird. :confused:

I am with you on this one I too think it is due to heat I have one that had a large crack after turning the pen it is two years old now and no more cracks and still looks good but for the crack:eek:

Billy Tallant
06-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Very nice looking pen...