PDA

View Full Version : Keith - Friends of the Creek

Mitchell Andrus
06-22-2010, 7:36 PM
I'm asking here 'cause it kinda got started here...

What's the early verdict on this program. Do you track click-throughs and do they show any activity?

Keith Outten
06-22-2010, 9:36 PM
Mitchell,

It's to early to tell just yet and we have a ways to go but the goal is to eventually have a major directory geared toward general woodworking, turning, laser engraving and CNC services and supplies.

As the FOTC Directory grows we hope it will become the first source everyone will be checking to find tools, services and supplies. What will make the FOTC different is that it services our Community primarily by Members of our Community and the vendors who sponsor The Creek. I have been visiting various FOTC web sites recently and I am already impressed at the variety of services available, some are very unique.

The idea of supporting those within a particular network isn't new but it is something that could catch fire here and be incredibly beneficial to everyone. It all gets down to whether the masses here would prefer to support each other, if so we now have a common medium we can share to make it possible.

Aaron is still tuning the programing for Friends of The Creek and he will constantly be watching to see how it is used to see if we can improve the interface. Up front we basically need to let it grow for awhile and then adjust the Directory to suit. As people start using FOTC to search for tools and services it will become more powerful and we hope it will pay off in discounts and power buying. This is possible if you consider that advertising costs, which can be very expensive, can be avoided or reduced substantially and the savings passed on to the consumer.

Hundreds of thousands of people visit SawMill Creek every month. We have the traffic and we can provide the visibility. The only unknown is whether the majority here are willing to support the project, if so they will reap rewards that will grow and grow.

The Internet is a powerful source for purchasing unlike any resource we have ever seen. The truth is I prefer to deal with people and companies I know whenever I can so the ability to search for a service close to home that is inside my personal network is very cool. The purchasing clout of a Community this large is incredible and very few here understand the power that is at our fingertips.