PDA

View Full Version : On joining a tool collectors club

James Taglienti
06-22-2010, 7:18 PM
I joined a tool collectors club a few years ago. I joined because I wanted to learn more about the tools that I was using daily. ("Who came up with Bed Rock?")

I went to a tool meet about a year after that, and I was blown away. There were some incredible bargains. Stuff that i bought just to resell. Stuff that I bought to use. Stuff that I bought just to have (collect?)

I know a lot of you aren't interested in collecting, and that is very understandable. have you ever heard the term "collector grade?" what about "user grade?" The only thing these guys want is collector grade. The user grade stuff is, to them, junk, and a lot of times they sell it as that.

Someone asked me where my working set came from. About 50% of it came from auctions, markets, and shops. About 20% came from online purchases, gifts (Neighbor : "hey, you like old tools, right?") and the rest came from these shows. Just a thought. I know there is a little (!) animosity toward collectors around here, but they DO sell stuff, too. I spent $500 at my last tool show just for resale. There are good bargains there.

Brian Greb
06-22-2010, 7:34 PM
Perhaps I need to find a collectors club around here. Then I'll need to find a tool aholic anonymous meeting.:)

Ron Jones near Indy
06-22-2010, 7:35 PM
Who or what sponsors the tool meets? I have not heard of one around Indy. Maybe I haven't been in the right place at the right time; maybe they don't exist.

Mark Wyatt
06-22-2010, 8:54 PM
Ron,

In Indy (as elsewhere) the Mid-West Tool Collector Association (mwtca.org) sponsors a few tool meets. Also, the twice annual auctions with MJD auctions (Spring, Fall) are often combined with tool meets. The auctions provide a great opportunity to pick and handle some great old and new hand tools. Also, it gives a relative youngster (39) like myself a chance to ask the old tool collectors (60+) "What is that? How would you use that? Someones gonna pay WHAT FOR THAT!?!"

Eric Brown
06-23-2010, 6:43 AM
I recently joined MWTCA but my primary interest is in information. My "collection" has been primarily focused on tools that teach me something.
I'm not a high-end collector, I really don't even care if the tool was patented or not. It can even be rusty. The MWTCA is almost like joining AARP. I've gotten some discounts from other members already. As a big plus, some of them are letting me know and giving me opportunities to purchase items before they list them (E-Bay etc.). Haven't been to any meets yet, but perhaps soon. $20 a year? Already saved that and a whole lot more. Strongly suggest joining if you either collect or are just interested in tools. BTW, the MWTCA isn't really limited to the mid-west as the are even members in Australia, Canada, England, Germany, etc.

Eric

Matt Hankins
06-24-2010, 7:36 AM
Another group to consider is the Early American Industries Association.
http://www.eaiainfo.org/index.htm
There are a lot of very knowledgeable individuals there. I am not currently a member do to other financial requirements:(, but hopefully soon.
Matt

Andrew Gibson
06-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Ive been trying to find good hand tools down here in FL, but not having much luck... maybe I need to ask at the next woodcrafters meeting.

george wilson
06-24-2010, 1:02 PM
Actually,I have been a member of EAIA since 1970,though I need to renew now. I most enjoyed their "flea markets" at meetings. got some great things there. Plus,they all know what the tools are REALLY worth,so,you don't get those ridiculously high rip off prices that you may see at regular flea markets.

harry strasil
06-24-2010, 8:32 PM
I used to be a member of MWTCA, and what George said about the meetings and the tools for sale and or trade. + the members are friendly and knowledgable so they can and will answer any questions you may have about most any tool. And as my trade knowledge is maybe a bit more varied than most, I have come home with some really good bargains that a few had no idea what was. And yes, I informed them of what I had purchased after I had purchased it. Most just wanted to unload that strange piece of what ever it was! LOL