PDA

View Full Version : Can It Be Saved?

Virginia Weaver
06-22-2010, 6:00 PM
I acquired a standing dead Birch that has been down for 6 months. After starting to cut into it I noticed some spalting and the logs are punky in spots. Do I continue to try to make blanks or should I give it up for firewood?

Virginia Weaver

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2010, 6:02 PM
Virgina - Welcome to the Creek!

I've turned a lot of spalted White Birch and love it! As long as it is not to punky - turn it!

David E Keller
06-22-2010, 6:22 PM
If you can get 'punk free' blanks then go for it. If it's too far gone, then I'd move on. There may be some areas of the tree that are in better shape than others. I hope it works out for you.

Brodie Brickey
06-22-2010, 6:39 PM
Keep in mind that you don't have to turn just bowls, so some of the blocks can be trimmed to make plates, baby rattles, pens, cups and a lot of other stuff.

Stay away from the punky wood and you'll be all set.

Hilel Salomon
06-22-2010, 7:10 PM
There are numerous methods for treating punky wood. Also sometimes, when you finish a piece and sand it, the wood underneath the punky parts is fine.
Hilel.

John Hart
06-22-2010, 9:18 PM
Yeah...I'd just work around the punky stuff. Spalted birch can be quite beautiful. Firewood is everywhere...save the birch.

Oh...and Welcome to the abyss!! :)

John Keeton
06-22-2010, 9:49 PM
Welcome, Virginia!! I have turned only one piece of spalted birch as I recall - a gift from Mr. Schlumpf!! Really nice wood - save all you can.

Allen Neighbors
06-22-2010, 11:31 PM
I've decided that someone was right, when they said, "Life's too short to turn crappy wood". (I cleaned it up a little bit). Skip the punky... go for the solid... JMO :)

Richard Madison
06-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Virginia, +1 Welcome to the forum. Have seen some beautiful spalted birch here, and hope you can save a lot of it.

Brian Greb
06-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Send me the spalted parts that way you don't have to risk it.:D

Seriously make your blanks you can treat the punky areas later. There are wood stabilizers that work wonders.

bob svoboda
06-23-2010, 9:57 AM
Welcome Virginia. You've gotten good advice here. Turn the solid stuff and burn the punky stuff! Looking forward to seeing your turnings.

Michelle Rich
06-23-2010, 10:45 AM
I have turned a ton of spalted birch..it can be sensational. If it's too pithy you can soak small parts in CA...but it gets hard to get a good smooth finish. Welcome to SC..hope to see your turnings soon

Brian Weaver
06-23-2010, 1:00 PM
Hi Virginia, welcome to the creek my wife's name is Virginia Weaver also.

John Hart
06-23-2010, 1:39 PM
My neighbors name is Joseph Weaver...but his wife's name is not Virginia. In fact...I don't think they ever even lived near Virginia.

Hmmm..come to think of it...I don't think they weave either. But then...they're amish, so they might weave alittle now and then.:)

Ok ok...Shuttin' up. :o Where's my lacquer? :rolleyes:

Virginia Weaver
06-23-2010, 1:58 PM
Thanks for all the imput. I'm chainsawing away making the most out of what I've got. I liked the idea of the CA for some of the punk, especially for any pen blanks I can get. Also thanks for the kind welcomes.

Virginia Weaver