PDA

View Full Version : Gift for a Neander in Training?

Jeff Yates
06-22-2010, 4:07 PM
I have a good friend of mine having a birthday next week.

He has talked and talked about wanting to learn how to hand cut dovetails and use various planes.

Now we are both signed up for a sharpening class next month...but I'm trying to figure out what to get him.

Choices at this point are:

1 - Veritas 14tpi Dovetail saw (Just don't know if this is a good beginners saw)

2 - Find an old plane or draw knife or two for him (I just have NO idea what to look for in those)

3 - Just get him a few cigars and let him pick out his own tools...

Thank you kindly

Chris Griggs
06-22-2010, 5:00 PM
Veritas dovetail saw, hands down. Haven't used it, but most reviews have said it performs as well as a Lie-Nielsen, which I have used.

You'll learn a lot from rehabbing an old plane, but the saw will give a lot of short and long term gratification.

A good dovetail saw will change the way you work. It will actually help you to develop good technique, and is therefore good for a beginner (I say this as a relative beginner). It will still take a lot of practice, but practicing dovetails with a good saw is VERY enjoyable. Just be careful. Quality hand tools (i only have a few so far) are a very slippery slope. Soon both you and your friend will be wanting a whole nest of saws and planes.

Michael Titus
06-22-2010, 5:01 PM
Ditto Veritas dovetail saw.

Jeff Yates
06-22-2010, 5:30 PM
Sounds like early polling has Veritas by half a track...

Thank you both...

Oh and Chris...I can see myself having a few saws for doing quick hand dovetails...but I am a very serious believer in better living through power tools...*laugh*

Archie England
06-22-2010, 5:45 PM
Adria saws--They CUT GREAT!!!!!! (BTW, I meant to shout)

But, why not wait until after the class. Hopefully, you'll have the opportunity to try out a number of different saws. I've rescued and rehabbed a number of old Disston no. 4s, of various lengths, and love them all. My education took a quantum leap when I dished out the cash for a coupla Adria saws. Wow! Sharp and lightening quick in the cut. If the other primo saws are like these, any will do. Veritas is unequaled in the lowest cost category.

Have fun and post some pics about your class and results!

Arch

Jeff Yates
06-22-2010, 6:14 PM
Archie...thanks for the input...

The Adria is a bit outside of the price range I intended to spend on my good friend...but he is a friend...but I'm not sleeping with him...*laugh*

I will be more than happy to provide some information on the sharpening class, but this is on chisels and the like. I don't think I"m ready to look into sharpening saws just yet. It's a Woodcraft class, and I am looking forward to it.

Jim Koepke
06-22-2010, 6:49 PM
Depending on the time you have before the birthday, the Veritas saw may be the best choice.

I have a few planes that will eventually be for sale, but currently have been too busy with other things to get them into good shape.

There are often listings in the SMC Classifieds of planes for sale. Some are fully fettled and ready to go, some will need a little work.

jim

Jeff Johnson
06-22-2010, 7:11 PM
Actually, I'd start with a good small LV or LN low angle block plane. It has more uses.

Rick Rutten
06-22-2010, 10:51 PM
It depends on if you think he would like starting to saw or plane. I am a beginner neander, have the LV dovetail and an LN low angle block. Both are fun and easy to use. The LV is about half the price of the LN block. A good starting point.

Rick

Jeff Yates
06-22-2010, 11:12 PM
I should probably mention I've chosen a $75 cap on a gift...I doubt I can get an LV or LN plane except some very specific use item...

That's why I was going to find old steel if I went the way of planes.

I don't think he's ready to rebuild one, so I'll keep an eye out and make my choice Thurs or Fri...if something pops up I'll consider it, if it doesn't...I'll order him the saw.

Thank you for the input everyone

Andrew Gibson
06-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I think the saw would be a wonderful gift. I handled the LV saws a couple months ago at a tool show and they were very nice. That being said I did find the handle on the large size for my hand... I where a M/L golf glove if that helps... :P maybe because I started with a LV saw...

Jeff Yates
06-22-2010, 11:25 PM
I think the saw would be a wonderful gift. I handled the LV saws a couple months ago at a tool show and they were very nice. That being said I did find the handle on the large size for my hand... I where a M/L golf glove if that helps... :P maybe because I started with a LV saw...

Well that is good information, he wears an XL glove...

Thank you...

John Coloccia
06-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Veritas saw, slam dunk.

Giving him an old plane is like giving him an old, rusted out hunk of a car. It may be nice when he's done, but it's a project. Most of us don't need anymore projects. If he wants to rehabilitate a plane, he'll go out and find one for himself. Just my opinion.

Zach England
06-23-2010, 8:25 AM
The Veritas apron plane is excellent and as I recall is around $75. It's really the only block plane I use with regularity, and I've got 5 or 6 including two LNs.

Don Dorn
06-23-2010, 8:36 AM
He'll probably choose his own sharpening equipment and I go along with the other post about not giving an old plane. The new apron plane or LV dovetail saw are both good ideas - I vote for the saw. I have one and really like it, no regrets. The gift is very nice of you.

John Coloccia
06-23-2010, 9:06 AM
The Veritas apron plane is excellent and as I recall is around $75. It's really the only block plane I use with regularity, and I've got 5 or 6 including two LNs.

Oh, yeah. One of those too!