PDA

View Full Version : Sommerfelds Industrio router table and fence

Larry Dublin
11-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Does anyone have this setup? Comments? Good, bad, indifferent?

www.sommerfeldtools.com/products.asp?ID=6 (http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/products.asp?ID=6)

Bart Leetch
11-29-2004, 11:58 PM
I don't really know a whole lot about it but just looking at this table & others I've seen like it I don't like any table that doesn't have a little bit of table surface to the outside of the miter slot.

larry merlau
11-30-2004, 8:02 AM
Does anyone have this setup? Comments? Good, bad, indifferent?

www.sommerfeldtools.com/products.asp?ID=6 (http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/products.asp?ID=6)
i have the style with the solid top not a drop in version, and it works well for me. solid construction and as for the area behind the mitre slot, like bart mentioned hasnt been a factor. i had the older table oringanlly and upgraded to the phenolic top and made my own table. simialer to norms. with a few distinct changes to suit my needs. so i wouldnt be afraid of that table at all better than alot of the ones i had looked at previously. had some good reviews as well in the ww mags i read.

Aaron Montgomery
11-30-2004, 8:14 AM
I've got the previous version that doesn't have the cut-out.

http://home.insightbb.com/~apmonte/Graphics/RouterTable_15.jpg

It's a nice top, but occasionally I feel that it's a little small. The fence is substantial, but I'm not sure I'm all that impressed with it. The fence was originally secured by a bar with a rubber foot that held on to the underside of the table. I found that this pad flexed, causing the fence to move. It appears that they may have some other method for securing the fence now.

For what I paid for this setup, I think you could do better.

WoodShopDemos has a review of this tablehere. (http://www.woodshopdemos.com/menu2.htm) I do believe they are now using the newer one that you have linked to.

Larry Dublin
11-30-2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am going to make the plunge in about three weeks and build my own style cabinet. Will post pics and comments as I go.

Todd Burch
12-01-2004, 8:58 AM
Larry, I have the original setup. I like it, but I only paid $325 for mine (a buddy had one). If I were do it again, I would do are you are doing and build my own base.

The dust/chip collection is pretty good, but in my cabinet, I would add dust/chip collection capabilities below the top as well. The top is very sturdy and quite good. I don't might not having an insert, as I figure it is one less place for sharp cornered wood to catch.

I've only used the miter slots for hold downs and never a miter guage. If anything, I would prefer them to be closer to the bit, or, if BenchDog came out with a longer featherboard, I would buy them. (I have 4 BD featerboards, and use them a lot - they are great).

My only pet peave is that the round aluminum insert for the throat plate could go about .001"=.002" or so lower, as there is no adjustment in my table. When routing, inevitably, the insert will bounce a bit, then fine, fine dust will get underneath it, then it sticks up just enough to catch the leading edge of my work. The insert does come with 4 set scrws for height adjustment, but I think my rabbet was just cut wrong on my top. I haven't seen any other tops, so I don't know it they are all like mine or not.

For a long time, I didn't have a fine adjustment knob on my Hitachi M12V, but adjusting wasn't that big a deal. Now that I have my 2nd M12V, I used the fine adjustment knob that comes with it, and it is a joy to set. Just remember to always raise it you your desired height so the threads will not allo backlash. (This goes for any router on any table).

The M12V and this table are a fine combination. The orange base is knock-down construction, laminate over particle board, but mine has held up through lots of scooting around on concrete. (Just about 2 years now).

Mine listed for $700 when I got it for $325.

I've had no issues with the fence creeping, unless I haven't tightened the knobs enough. (User error). I have the pad. I hook mine to my shop vac, and until the filter gets clogged, the collection is pretty good, even when raising panels.

I'm happy with mine, and might go back and get the other one I know is available at the same price. (Don't ask!!)