PDA

View Full Version : Another plane question.

Brian Greb
06-22-2010, 1:42 PM
I was digging though a box and found a Power Kraft block plane... it's still in the original box, with receipt. I was wondering if anyone knows about this brand, is it any good?

Dave Ring
06-22-2010, 1:54 PM
Powr Kraft was a Monkey Ward's house brand. I'm not familiar with Powr Kraft planes but their wrenches and screwdrivers were good solid tools. I'd say they were as good as Sears Craftsman tools used to be.

James Taglienti
06-22-2010, 2:59 PM
probably not that great brian but i bet you can get it to work. i'd focus on that LA block plane instead.

Brian Greb
06-22-2010, 3:32 PM
probably not that great brian but i bet you can get it to work. i'd focus on that LA block plane instead.

The only reason I was inquiring about it is I want to get rid of it and I wanted to know if it had any value.

P.S. that LA I got from you is friggin sweet.:D Thanks again.

James Taglienti
06-22-2010, 7:05 PM
hey, i was thinking about that powr kraft you've got- if it's an adjustable mouth version, most likely stanley made it. not a whole lot of firms made the 9 1/2 type plane- also the cutter should fit the la block (which was pretty sweet) if it is a 9 1/2 type. just a thought.

as far as collector value, i dunno, i doubt it, but it cant hurt to list it. i could be wrong- it'd only be the 10th time today.

Brian Greb
06-22-2010, 7:28 PM
hey, i was thinking about that powr kraft you've got- if it's an adjustable mouth version, most likely stanley made it. not a whole lot of firms made the 9 1/2 type plane- also the cutter should fit the la block (which was pretty sweet) if it is a 9 1/2 type. just a thought.

as far as collector value, i dunno, i doubt it, but it cant hurt to list it. i could be wrong- it'd only be the 10th time today.

It's identical to the Stanley 110 except it has a bake-alight front knob.

Randal Stevenson
06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Does the receipt have a date on it? I know, Wards had a Wards Best line, but am wondering when they went to the Powr Kraft line (Powr Kraft was their lifetime warranty, to compete with Sears Craftsman, and JCPenny's Penncraft).

Brian Greb
06-23-2010, 1:03 AM
Does the receipt have a date on it? I know, Wards had a Wards Best line, but am wondering when they went to the Powr Kraft line (Powr Kraft was their lifetime warranty, to compete with Sears Craftsman, and JCPenny's Penncraft).

Date on the receipt is 16 Sep 67. The price paid was $2.57 that's with tax, that would be $16.79 in current money. With that info i guess it is a cheap plane.

Jim Koepke
06-23-2010, 1:03 AM
Powr Kraft was their lifetime warranty, to compete with Sears Craftsman, and JCPenny's Penncraft

And we all know who the last one standing in that competition happens to be.

How long ago was it that you could buy tools at JCPenny's? I think I recall seeing them there in the early 1970 or '80s.

jim

Randal Stevenson
06-23-2010, 3:26 AM
And we all know who the last one standing in that competition happens to be.

How long ago was it that you could buy tools at JCPenny's? I think I recall seeing them there in the early 1970 or '80s.

jim

I don't know for sure when they quit. When did they quit doing automotive service? (same time perhaps)
The tools believe it or not (Penncraft ones) still carry the lifetime warranty.

Jim Koepke
06-23-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't know for sure when they quit. When did they quit doing automotive service? (same time perhaps)
The tools believe it or not (Penncraft ones) still carry the lifetime warranty.

I wonder what name is on any of the replacement tools if one had to be replaced?

I have quite an eclectic accumulation of hand tools from working on all kinds of things over the years. There is even a 1/2 inch breaker bar with the Firestone brand on it that was bought at a yard sale for a buck.

At one time, every one seemed to have their own branding on tools of every kind.

I wonder if there are any Snap-On hand planes?

I do have a Crescent (the wrench maker) brand wood chisel.

jim

Ross Canant
06-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Probably made by Sargent or Milllers Falls if it has some years on it.

Jim Koepke
06-26-2010, 1:23 PM
Date on the receipt is 16 Sep 67. The price paid was $2.57 that's with tax, that would be $16.79 in current money. With that info i guess it is a cheap plane.

That would depend on what index is used. Some items have not increased as much as others.

In 1967, my car had a 10 gallon tank, a fill up at the local Standard station, now Chevron, was less than $2.50. Today 10 gallons of gas at Chevron is $25 - $30 depending on your location.

Some items have not seen the same rise, others may have higher multipliers.

There may be distortions due to the difference in items made in the U.S.A. and items made in China.

My point is that a plane of the quality of the J.C. Penny's model is not likely available today for less than $20, unless I am mistaken about the quality of the plane in question.

jim