PDA

View Full Version : Question.... about a no. 12?

Brian Greb
06-22-2010, 1:39 PM
I have a No. 12 scraper with a wood sole the wood on the sole appears to not be rosewood, it also extends past the sole and is 3/8" thick. The wood piece is held on with square nuts and screws. Is this a hack job on a no. 12 to make it a 12 1/2, or the real deal from Stanley? I thought an the veneer scrapers Stanley used brass inserts in the wood, then used machine screws to attach the wood part. I'd like to know before I take it a part and either strip it for parts or clean it. I do have a super nice base that has no handles so I could just put the handle from this one on that one.

Here is the "farm fresh" plane I speak of

Here is a detail of the nuts

Finally a shot of the sole

Thanks for looking and your help is greatly appreciated.

Tom Vanzant
06-22-2010, 2:57 PM
Brian,
According to Patrick's Blood and Gore, you have a #12 that has been modified to resemble a #12 1/2 by adding the wooden sole plate. Yours has No. 12 cast in the base. A true 12 1/2 would have No. 12 1/2 cast in the base, and round-head screws that pass thru the holes in the sole into threaded inserts in the rosewood sole plate. B&G mentioned that the plate could be easily replaced, but usually with screws and nuts like on your plane.
Tom

James Taglienti
06-22-2010, 2:57 PM
hackage, the #12 didn't have provisions for a wood sole. only the fractional 12's did. it'll still work fine

Brian Greb
06-22-2010, 3:27 PM
I shall kill this no. 12 then and put it's parts to better use(I'll uses the frog lever cap and adjuster rod in my upcoming infill scraper), at the same time I'll be able to resurrect another very nice no.12.:D

Thanks guys just needed that second opinion.

James Taglienti
06-22-2010, 5:17 PM
the sole still has some value, those guys were prone to breaking in a few places and if yours is intact otherwise i bet you could sell it

get you some money

Jim Koepke
06-22-2010, 6:40 PM
Looks like the mouth has been opened also to look like the 12-3/4.

What people do to old tools for a cheap upgrade.

jim