PDA

View Full Version : Question about Porter-Cable 690 router

Louis Brandt
06-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Hello,

I have the Bosch 1617EVSPK router combo, and I like it very much, but I've been looking at the Porter-Cable 690 (and the 690lrvs variable speed version). Am I correct when I say that the depth adjustment on the 690 is more "straighforward" than that on my Bosch? It looks like all that's necessary on the 690 is just to turn the big ring to adjust up or down.

I know that the 690 is only a 1 3/4 HP unit, but for general use, it seems to me that it might be easier to use, because of an easier way to adjust depth, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Louis

Greg Wease
06-22-2010, 1:36 PM
Turning the ring itself does nothing on the 690--it is only a reference. You adjust bit height by rotating the motor in the housing. Adjust the ring to "0" relative to the scribed line on the motor with the bit at the surface of the wood. Then rotate the ring to the desired depth of cut and rotate the motor to bring the depth number back to the scribe line. For me, it is much easier to set an accurate depth of cut with the Bosch adjustment knob than rotating the motor on the 690.

Louis Brandt
06-22-2010, 1:45 PM
Ok, thanks. I did not know that. I haven't really handled the 690, just looked at it several times. I thought that maybe it was a simpler to use router, with less options, and that it might be easier to set up for simple jobs. As I said, I do like my Bosch a lot, but I had just been wondering whether the 690 might be an appropriate go-to router for simple jobs.
Louis

Charles Wiggins
06-22-2010, 1:47 PM
If you are looking for a very simple, straightforward router the PC 690 series has a solid track record. The depth adjustment on the fixed base is very easy. That's why I got one for my router table. You just unlock the base and rotate the motor until it reaches the right depth and lock it back down again. I got the 690LR non-variable speed model so I could add a separate speed adjustment to the side of the table. At 1 3/4 HP you're not going to hog out huge gullets of oak, but you wouldn't want to do that anyway. It's hard of the tool and hard on bits, and you usually don't get a good cut that way.

I have a 2 HP PC7529 plunge router that I used for most other operations.

Charles Wiggins
06-22-2010, 1:52 PM
I haven't used the Bosch, so i cannot comment on that, but to set the depth of cut, on my routers, I don't rely on the markings on the tool anyway. I used a depth gauge: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11307&filter=depth%20guage

Louis Brandt
06-22-2010, 2:07 PM
I haven't used the Bosch, so i cannot comment on that, but to set the depth of cut, on my routers, I don't rely on the markings on the tool anyway. I used a depth gauge:

I wasn't really asking whether the 690's depth "setting" was accurate enough to trust without using a separate depth gauge, I was just asking whether or not it is easier to raise and lower the depth on the 690 than on my Bosch, for example.
Louis

pat warner
06-22-2010, 2:36 PM
Definitely easier (690) to use than 1617. Motor in & out in 2 seconds.
Depth adjust quick but with quirk. If the motor pins cross the motor casting split at your depth of cut, then adjustment becomes arbitrary.
Both good machines, 690 much handier.

Michael MacDonald
06-22-2010, 3:46 PM
generally, to set the depth I use a ruler or a horseshoe-shaped gauge. Then to fine-adjust, I set the reference ring, loosen the wing-nut and tweak the height according to the measurements on the ring... it works for me and seems pretty easy.

Jim Rimmer
06-22-2010, 4:15 PM
I have 3 PC690s and love them. As mentioned, depth adjustment may be a little quirky sometimes but I am going to try some of the suggestions in this thread. The main thing is there are a lot of after-market items for the PC. Don't know about the Bosch but I also have a Freud and a Ryobi and they don't work so well with after-market plates, bushings, etc.

Greg Wease
06-22-2010, 4:44 PM
I have 3 PC690s and love them. As mentioned, depth adjustment may be a little quirky sometimes but I am going to try some of the suggestions in this thread. The main thing is there are a lot of after-market items for the PC. Don't know about the Bosch but I also have a Freud and a Ryobi and they don't work so well with after-market plates, bushings, etc.
The Bosch (fixed base) is nice in that it has the Porter Cable hole pattern hiding underneath the base. This makes it compatible with the jigs you mention and you can bolt on a PC base to accept their template guides.

Jeff Duncan
06-22-2010, 10:12 PM
One nice thing, (I think anyway), about adjusting the 690 is b/c that plastic ring is so large in diameter, and the markings on it spaced the way they are, it's very easy to really dial it in.
good luck,
JeffD